RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm seeking some help, I just did my inspection II service and could'nt remove the oil filter cap. Placing the hexagonal key on the top, the grabing part had torn off. Any idea now on what to do to have this cap taken off? And is there a specific tool to get this cap off? Many thans for your help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
youre gonna have to buy a new one so take a blunt chisel and hammer and hit it gently on the bottom flange counter clockwise until its hand loose, and for the new one buy a socket, its 35 or 36 mm i think, but you can measure it when you buy it, also buy it from bmw its cheaper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super, many thanks for your answer, I guessed I had to get a new one, but as I was stuck for the week-end I filled it in with new oil already, do you think I can change the oil filter without having to empty engine oil out again once I get the new cap? Because I am not sure whether the oil level is below the filter housing level. It will be my last question hopefully :) Enjoy your Sunday and hope you have nice weather in Antwerp. Her in Lausanne its very cold but sunny. Kind regards, Michael

·
Registered
127 Posts
no problem , when the engines not running all the oil stays in the sump, just be carefull when tapping it loose that it dosent break or youll have to fish out the pieces

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
158 Posts
A strap type oil filter wrench should work fine. Just put it around the wide part of the cap, ignoring the hexagonal part on the top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for all the replies, I will try this out very soon and be posting my results. I guess the dealer or the previous onwer had tighten this one to hard, wondering how long it has been this way and if there is still a filter in place under this cap. Servicing was much easier with my P38 I much regret.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts