RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id really like to have a remote start fitted onto my 98 RR. All the remote starts Ive seen are also alarms. Is there just a remote start module that would work my car?

If I did go with the alarm with remote start how would that work with the existing alarm. I presume that would need to be deactivated which might not be that simple.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I recall somebody talking about doing this awhile back...but I'm not sure if he ever got it to work. The alarm is so dang finnicky as it is I really wouldn't try to tempt fate by cutting some wires and hoping it works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OEM alarm seems very overkill is it going to go nuts if disconnected and another alarm put in. Also I only have one key, would I need to get another key to get the transponder.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Although the alarm can be disabled I'd strongly advise against fiddling with this part of your electronics.

The security system of the vehicle is controlled by the BECM, and nearly every other part of the vehicle is interconnected in some way to the BECM or controlled by it.
If this computer starts doing strange things you might have a Range Rover that will start randomly or maybe never at all...
Maybe it will lock you out forever (hint: great fun, if you like breaking glass and door locks, the security system is very clever keeping people out of the car, the problem is that it sometimes fails to recognize you as a person that is in fact allowed to unlock and drive the car)
Maybe the battery will go flat daily because the BECM fails to go to sleep.

Why do you want this?

Sigi

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I have had autostart on many of my cars. It is a god send in winter to warm things up and defrost the screens. In the summer it'll keep you from passing out in the Palm Springs or Phoenix sun. :mrgreen: That explains the why.

However, I refuse to even begin to approach the subject with a P38. Even my neighbour that owns one of the best car toy shops in the Seattle area refuses to install autostart on P38 or L322 rigs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
munichp38a said:
Why do you want this?
Because I want to remote start my car. Do I need another reason.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Aquanuke said:
munichp38a said:
Why do you want this?
Because I want to remote start my car. Do I need another reason.
End of story. :lol:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had it on my 2000

Good luck getting anyone to do it.

It requires 5 relays minimum because each wire is negative ground to activate the truck, then you need a 556u to bypass the alarm. Oh yeah, prepare to lose one of your keys, the valet one if you have it.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
vmystikilv said:
I had it on my 2000

It requires 5 relays minimum because each wire is negative ground to activate the truck, then you need a 556u to bypass the alarm. Oh yeah, prepare to lose one of your keys, the valet one if you have it.

New and improved end of story.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
kmagnuss said:
vmystikilv said:
I had it on my 2000

New and improved end of story.
You got me beat :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just dropped my 2001 in the shop on Tues morning to get my viper 7901 installed....it is Thurs night and i still dont have my truck back yet. they are trying to tell me that it is nearly impossible and that they can get the alarm to work and open and close doors with the addition of an actuator, but the remote start wont work. i told them go back in there and make it happen because at this point i cannot return the alarm. my EAS has been acting up so i wanted to install the remote start in it to give it time so i dont have to wait 25 minutes everytime i start the car. anybody have any advice or something i can tell these liars that told me that they can install it on my truck?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
I hate to day it, but unless you fix your EAS soon the remote start will be the last of your worries.

As far as the actual autostart, it has been said many times by many an installer, it ainta goinna happen. If they said they could and have hit a brick wall simply tell them to return everything back to it's previous state, refund your purchase and use that money to fix your EAS. If you have to really wait 25 minutes in the morning you have most likely already burned out your compressor do to a leak. :?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! i gave them until Sat and at that time if they were unable to come up with it i will let them return it to to normal state. i think i have a leak in the right hand rear bladder because when i left a door ajar to stop the air suspension that bag/bladder still went down to the bump stop! i planned to change the air bag in about 2-3 weeks (Christmas shopping was killer lol)

·
Registered
11 Posts
So i finally picked my RR around midnight last night....
they were able to complete the job...installing my remote start and alarm using my viper 5901. :geek: they did so without using the bypass so they returned my valet key. :shock: hmmm???
i had one more issue with my locks but i'll start another thread about that. :arrow:

·
Registered
407 Posts
the 556u is an old system bypass.(keep in mind mines was done a long time ago). Dont worry about them handing back the valet key, they must have used the new one (forgot the model number). It just copys the keys transponder signal. Good to know it works on the rovers though. Might think about doing it again one day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts