RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 Range Rover Sport with the 5.0L Supercharged engine. I live in NY and was shocked to find out that not only was a remote start not an available option but I was “told” there were really no after market alternatives. After “months” of searching I thought I would share a success story.

I finally found a small company that offered a remote starter.

http://www.autoingenuity.net

I had seen all kinds of conversations on the Internet about how It might void the warranty or conflict with the control systems. I was super nervous about it but found that none of that is true. What I did have difficulty with is finding someone that could install it. Ultimately I went directly to the manufacturer and he gave me a local installer, Select Technologies south of Rochester New York. There also happens to be a terrific Range Rover dealer in Rochester. I’ll buy my next one from those guys.

I can tell you absolutely that this system works and does not interfere with anything on the vehicle. The downside is that you have to sacrifice a key Fob and that is what the system uses to perform. It connects with a Drone Mobile app that you can use from your cell phone. There is a yearly fee for the mobile app. I flew in to the airport last week and started my Range Rover from the runway and it was warm when I got to the parking lot (winning!). You can start your car from anywhere as long as you have cell service or Wi-Fi.

There are a couple of major downsides to be aware of before you commit to this system. First of all it is expensive. I think I paid roughly $700 for the system, $500 to have it installed, $200 for the mobile app Installation, and the cost of the key Fob which is probably $400 to replace. The Fob stays in the car connected to the system so technically it is not connected to the car or it’s electronics. Secondly is that at this time all my system will do is start the car. I can start it from Australia if I wanted but I can’t unlock it with the mobile app. Hopefully that will change.

Right now I am looking at about 3 feet of snow that has fallen across New York State. This system works and it is worth every penny that I spent on it. I hope that Range Rover will join the rest of the world and make this a standard feature on its line up. I am actually kind of shocked that you could pay $100,000 for a luxury vehicle and it doesn’t come standard with a remote starter.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Many poorly educated people see auto and remote start as a safety issue and a theft invite. Again it is the folks that don't know anything about the safety features, ignition kill and time limitation that perpetuate these ill conceived views. These views have lead to legislation in many regions where an unoccupied vehicle running is a hefty fine. I have had auto/remote start on a dozen or so cars over the years. When it's triple digits leaving the Phoenix office you better believe it was worth the cost to get in a car that the climate control has been working. You situation and my winter time in British Columbia are the other end of the scale. I would much rather get into car with clear windscreen and windows than to futz with waiting for defrosters.

I really want to thank you for the details on success for the new generation models. I know there are more than a few folks that will gladly shell out the funds for this option.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The odd thing is, I have remote start on the F-Type and it works! Maybe it’s a mistake! Haha!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to jumpstart such an old thread, but I just had this installed by the same company (Select Technologies in Canandaigua NY) on my 2015 RRS SC and I am in love. Should have done this 3 years ago when I got it.

Remote start from anywhere in the world with dronemobile on my phone. Can lock and unlock doors.

Only issue I've noticed is that if the car is asleep, it does not always actually unlock the doors, it clicks on but does not unlock, this can be solved by locking first or starting the engine first.

Any questions, free free to ask

1 - 4 of 4 Posts