Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. Just picked up a 2015.5 RRS HSE. Amazing vehicle.

I was very interested in a remote start system for the vehicle as I had one on my 2012 MB E350. Did some searching and couldn't find anything on this forum that was the answer (I may be wrong). With the help of my local remote start installer we located Roverelectronics.com. I called and spoke with the owner of the company. He is the only Range Rover aftermarket remote start system that, after installation, would preserve all functions of the car.

I had the system installed this last week. I opted for the DroneMobile module as well so I can start the vehicle with my phone. It is a flawless system. The system is very complicated to install and therefore only highly qualified car installers will be agreeable to do so. The company is more than willing to "train" and send instructions to an installer who is interested and specializes in the high-end car market remote installer business. The nearest installer from me was 2 hrs away. However, once the system is installed, it works with no problems and is as close to perfect as can be.

I just wanted to post on this forum as I know many people have been interested in a remote start for Land Rovers but did not know that such a system existed. The company is extremely helpful and stands behind their product. They have installed over 2000 remote start systems for Land Rovers to date and about 200 on the new Range Rover Sport (L494). He mentioned to me he has a lifetime warranty behind his product but he has never had to honor it due to the quality of the product.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for posting! I really wanted this feature and thought the 2015 was going to have it but alas it didn't. I have a 2015.5 and it looks like the 2016 has the remote start option. I would almost consider swapping for a 2016 to get this given the weather in MA. Keep us posted on any issues you have. I have been warned continuously by dealers and blogs about the electrical problems that can occur with remote start but am still interested in exploring it. I fear losing my warranty though as I am positive this car will use it until the day it expires...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went through very extensive discussions with the owner of the company and the actual circuit board. Indeed it is a very complicated system to build. However, I tested every feature of the car so far in a variety of conditions and note no flaws on the system. The car can be remote started while locked and when the car is approached the original key fob is detected and allows the soft unlock.

As far as the warranty goes, I did bring this issue up with him. This was his response:

"We are protected under the Magnuson?Moss Act of 1975. Dealers back then were telling drivers, that if they added any aftermarket product, not only electrical, that it would void the car's warranty. The Act specifies that this can not happen, however, if the item has a direct effect on something in the car, that one part will not be warranted. No, this will not void the vehicle warranty. But if we were regularly blowing up modules in the car, we would be out of business, it hasn't happened yet."

Will definitely keep you posted on any issues that may arise.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went through very extensive discussions with the owner of the company and the actual circuit board. Indeed it is a very complicated system to build. However, I tested every feature of the car so far in a variety of conditions and note no flaws on the system. The car can be remote started while locked and when the car is approached the original key fob is detected and allows the soft unlock.

As far as the warranty goes, I did bring this issue up with him. This was his response:

"We are protected under the Magnuson?Moss Act of 1975. Dealers back then were telling drivers, that if they added any aftermarket product, not only electrical, that it would void the car's warranty. The Act specifies that this can not happen, however, if the item has a direct effect on something in the car, that one part will not be warranted. No, this will not void the vehicle warranty. But if we were regularly blowing up modules in the car, we would be out of business, it hasn't happened yet."

Will definitely keep you posted on any issues that may arise.
They aren't even relevant to the Act, since they aren't party to the warranty. They only need liability protection (e.g., their product burns down your house and it was never inspected by someone like UL, CSA, etc.) You, on the other hand, are protected to some degree. The only question is, "How much do you have saved for when you take it to court?"

·
Registered
275 Posts
People are too worried about warranty. Adding remote start doesn't just void your entire warranty. The only thing it could possibly effect is the electrical warranty, and even then, if you did have an electrical problem all you have to do is remove the remote start from the car before you bring it in. They aren't even going to know you have remote start installed unless they need to look at the Junction Control Box (and with the RS removed, they would never know), which isnt going to come up for most things. My thinking: worse case scenario i can pay for repairs, after all I can afford a 120K car I can also afford to maintain it. I'm running a custom ECU tune, supercharger pulley swapped, I've replaced all the speakers, replaced windsheild, replaced rear windows, installed remote start, replaced tires and wheels, replaced some trim pieces-- and I'm not worried about warranty in the slightest!

I modify all my cars starting the day i drive it off to lot. I once tuned a car before I even left the dealer. I've never had a single problem with warranties due to some mod I've done.

I had it in for warranty stuff (alignment, air suspension, and a touch screen recall) with the remote start in and had no issues with that. The service dept doesn't know and even if they did, they aren't going to care, they want the business! You think they want your warranty voided? No, they don't-- they are privately owned. Your warranty is how they get paid. They know if you didn't have that warranty, you'd likely be going elsewhere for repairs. It's corporate JLR that would be a potential issue. Say you blew up your engine. They'd send a corporate big wig out to investigate, and he would likely try to invalidate a warranty anyway he could.

Now, about the remote start:

Their is no multiple remote start solutions to weigh out, there is only one remote starter available for our cars. And it's not just a matter of just buying Drone mobile, you also need to buy the remote starter, which is about $1000. Then Drone is another $200 on top of that. Personally I think Viper Smart Start is a better choice,same price. Plus you have install, so you are looking at around $1500, even more if you buy a third key FOB (it requires a FOB be left in the car) to use for the remote starter. Key Fob can be bought for as cheap as $100 online, and then you need to pay a dealer $129 to program the key. So now you are at almost $2000. Any Best Buy can install it, remote start is their bread and butter this time of year, they basically do nothing but install remote starters all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts