Range Rovers Forum banner

Remote key fob no longer available for 1998 RR??

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  nashvegas 
#1 ·
I finally got my BeCM back from Martin and have my 98 4.0 SE running again. Many thanks to him. In the mean time I decided to order a remote fob as people have said this is really the only way you should be locking your vehicle (and it would have avoided my immobilization problem caused by my faulty driver's door latch). I have been waiting a month to hear from the dealer and after calling them last week they looked into the matter and have told me these fobs are no longer available. Has anyone manged to get a new one recently? Is there another source in the UK besides Land Rover if they have, in fact, stopped making them (probably not I would guess).
Look forward to replies.
cheers,
Gordon

#2 ·
Delivery of fobs to the dealers has been spotty at best. I was able to order a secondary fob in February and a primary just three weeks ago for another buddy. Apparently #3 and #4 fobs have been unavailable for about A year outside of NAS markets. secondary is getting scarce. I was assured by by two of the three dealers in this area that primary/#1 fobs would still be available while LR finds another option for a vendor.

#3 ·
uk lr dealers can order but youll only get no.1 the ref for no.2 defaults to no.1 which means if you have 2 no.1's you can't use the fob to preset seat positions etc on opening and have to use the eka to 'swap' to the active key . no.3 & 4 have not been available for some time

#4 ·
If you do try and order from the UK, then just make sure that they are aware it's for a NAS spec vahicle, as the frequency is different in the UK (433mhz, vs your 315mhz). Though I guess worst case is that you just have to get a 433mhz receiver from the UK aswell... at least you wouldn't then have RF interference issues!

#6 ·
Hey guys, thought I would chime in here. I have found another option for KEY FOBS! If you are able to find / buy a becm with matching key fobs, I can remove the key fob code from that becm and program that code into your becm. The key fobs will work with your CAR! I just scrapped a P38 with working FOBS, those fobs are now connected to the Milk Wagon!

Scotty

#7 ·
My dealer has also just confirmed they cannot get remote fobs from LR any longer. My 2001 as the remote with the key built in. Not sure if this is 1 or 2, or whatever. I was hoping to get a backup. I guess I should insure the remote for the same value as the car.

#9 ·
Not the 315MHz US spec ones I wouldn't think. 433MHz Europe (and most of the rest of world) ones are available to order from Land Rover but they need to be programmed to the VIN of the car from the Lockset Barcode. There is one supplier in the UK (Les at crnw.co.uk) who can programme Discovery style non-flip remotes (both 315 and 433MHz versions), to the P38 code but he has found it is not possible to reprogramme a used remote from the old code to a new one. It may be possible to programme a brand new, unprogrammed one. If you do not have the facilities to do this, it might be worth you having a chat with Les.

Blades are not a problem, they can be cut from the Lockset Barcode or from an existing key. My local Timsons were able to cut a spare from my original key, the P38 uses a BMW blank.

#11 ·
BTW you could very easily (I think) just change the receiver unit to 433 from 315 and then I believe there's a Nanocom setting as well... and then perhaps easily use new 433 key fobs.

I did this exact thing on a Disco 2...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.