RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, sorry if this is covered already or asked before, but can anyone verify what replacement remote/fob is compatible with a 2000 HSE? The original one is the two button "sidewinder" style, but is a later five button remote compatible? Any others?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
As far as I know there are no "compatible" remotes. Remotes from 1995 onwards are only available from the dealer as they are preprogrammed to match your serial number and BeCM coding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More specifically, what remote styles are compatible with a '00 model year Rover?
Originally, I think it was the two round button for the series II, then a flat two button for a few years, then finally it went to a five button. Would a later version of the remote work with a '00?
It seems that you don't have to go to a dealer to program a replacement remote. There are write-ups on how to do it yourself that's pretty straight forward.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
P38s never had anything except the factory 2 "round" button, flip out/switch blade remote/key. Newer model remotes do not work with P38s. In addition I believe you are mistaking the term "programming" for the proper term of "syncing". Programming can not be done on your own. You may however sync your keys on your own without a dealer being needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Programming can not be done on your own. You may however sync your keys on your own without a dealer being needed.
I would be taking a remote from another vehicle (P38 also), removing the innards and putting them into a new remote. In this case, hopefully all I would have to do is the Syncing part?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I am not sure how much more clear I can be, there are no other cases available for the P38 except the 2 button.

Instead of beating around the bush how about you tell us what your issue is and what you are trying to accomplish. If your case is beat up just purchase the remote rebuild kit. As posted in other threads, including one a few topics down, it includes new buttons, batteries, battery cover and water seal. If you want more buttons for more functions it is not going to happen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure how much more clear I can be, there are no other cases available for the P38 except the 2 button.

Instead of beating around the bush how about you tell us what your issue is and what you are trying to accomplish. If your case is beat up just purchase the remote rebuild kit. As posted in other threads, including one a few topics down, it includes new buttons, batteries, battery cover and water seal. If you want more buttons for more functions it is not going to happen.
Sorry, I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.
I'm not beating around the bush about anything.
I have nothing but a simple key at the moment.
First, I was asking whether any other remote(P38 Specific) besides the one offerred for my particular (2000) vehicle is compatible. I'm not asking whether a remote for a Miata will work. There are some manufacturers that have remotes that work for multiple models(Audi), and I was wondering if the receiver in my '00 is the same as a series III, etc.
In the last few hours, I figured out that all I have to do is get a complete used two button remote, also get a replacement uncut remote shell, transfer the innards over, and sync it to my vehicle.
I did just that. All on ebay, and I should have it all in hand and worked out in a week or so.
Thanks anyway, sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly enough the first time.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry, I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.
I'm not beating around the bush about anything.
I have nothing but a simple key at the moment.
First, I was asking whether any other remote(P38 Specific) besides the one offerred for my particular (2000) vehicle is compatible. I'm not asking whether a remote for a Miata will work. There are some manufacturers that have remotes that work for multiple models(Audi), and I was wondering if the receiver in my '00 is the same as a series III, etc.
In the last few hours, I figured out that all I have to do is get a complete used two button remote, also get a replacement uncut remote shell, transfer the innards over, and sync it to my vehicle.
I did just that. All on ebay, and I should have it all in hand and worked out in a week or so.
Thanks anyway, sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly enough the first time.

That will not work as the remote you will get will have the security code from the previous vehicle PROGRAMMED in it .It will not have your BECM code and therefore will not sync to your vehicle.The only way to get it to work as a remote fob with your vehicle is to know what code is programmed in the fob and then have your BECM unlocked electronically(which the dealer cannot do) and the fob code programmed into your BECM.You cannot Reprogram a key fob itself.
This is what RRtoadhall was trying to get across to you.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Another person sucked in by eBay hype and poor wording. Not only will it be imposible for you to program a key code into your BeCM for this mystery key, there will be no key code to begin with. When you add to that that P38 keys have specific numbers of key 1, key 2, key 3... you have no idea what you are getting so even if there were a way to PROGRAM this mystery key to your BeCM, you would have no idea what placement it is fo ryour memory and avoid interferance from additional keys. Again this all revolves wroung the incorrect use uf the words PROGRAM vs SYNC.

ANT, I would love for you to find a source for cheap keys that could untilize recycling of used keys. However as many folks have tried before and many people have tossed their money out the window due to lack of research I am less than hopeful for your results. In the end you will have spent money on used parts and a casing for a useless key that will be good for nothing than zip tying under the bumper for an emergency. Since you already have a valet key you can now store one under the front bumper and the rear bumper. :lol: Do yourself a favour tomorrow, call or go down to the dealer and order a proper key #1 for your rig. That way WHEN your latches begin to fail you have a way to avoid full lock out and a slammed BeCM when your rig thinks it has been stolen.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been giving serious thought to starting a "grab-bag traveling 38a fob collection club". Everyone who comes across a 38 fob (and can buy it for less than $5) puts it in the box when it comes your way. When it shows up every year or so, you try all the fobs on your RR to see if you've found the one the first owner lost. If you get lucky you send the buyer $10. Eventually the box will come by freight.

At some point, some of the older orphan fobs must realize they will not be returned to their trucks, and the club secretary will grind the key blade into a small but useful letter opener that folds and can be stored in your pocket or purse for any number of uses. Or sold on EBay where the buyer will actually receive value for his or her purchase.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Great idea Rick and when the box comes my way I will advertise the fobs in the box for sale on .bay .When they are all sold(probably back to the people who bought them to put in the box the first time) I will send on the empty box to collect the fobs again.Hmmm I think I've found the perfect business.As a bonus I will send a small bottle of snake oil with each one sold!:twisted::twisted::p:tongue:

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
THat snake oil can be used to lube the circuits on BeCM logic board so the used keys will sync more smoothly.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
I've been giving serious thought to starting a "grab-bag traveling 38a fob collection club". Everyone who comes across a 38 fob (and can buy it for less than $5) puts it in the box when it comes your way. When it shows up every year or so, you try all the fobs on your RR to see if you've found the one the first owner lost. If you get lucky you send the buyer $10. Eventually the box will come by freight.

At some point, some of the older orphan fobs must realize they will not be returned to their trucks, and the club secretary will grind the key blade into a small but useful letter opener that folds and can be stored in your pocket or purse for any number of uses. Or sold on EBay where the buyer will actually receive value for his or her purchase.
This is the most genius thing ever. I'm in!

Does anyone know what a new fob from the stealership actually costs?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Depends on the day of the week and the dealership. I have three dealerships in the area. They range from $210 to $275 depending on who you get at which dealership. THis is one of those things to definately call around for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts