RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the fob stopped working due to remote battery pooping out and requiring a new battery. She removed battery and replaced with battery she bought from a local Walgreens. Until she replaced, 24 hours, she used the key to unlock the door and of course start the vehicle, without any issues. Today when getting into the car to drive and get a battery for the remote she sat into the rangie and the key would not turn in the ignition.

She then used our other car to go and get the battery replacement and went on to put in the new battery, thinking that this would resolve the locking/unlocking issue along with being able to start the car again - No such luck.

I returned from a business trip this morning and have been trying to figure this out all day. I have searched the forum for possible causes and remedies. I have tried the EKA 1515 code but to no avail. Some mention that it could be the door latch since she had used this maybe half dozen to a dozen times using the key only - which may have burned the latch out - it's a 2004 rangie HSE.

So here's the skinny: we can lock/unlock the drivers door using the key, but if we unlock and open the door to get int, the aarm goes off for what seems to be 60 seconds before stopping, however, the side flashers will continue to flash for about another 1-2 mins. When sitting into the drivers seat with earplugs on, we try to start the car but the key wont turn. There doesnt seem to be any error message displayed on the dash during these course of events.

Any suggestions/answers to this mystery which is driving my wife crazy, who is driving me even crazier, would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to go to work tomorrow a little less enlightened, with fewer texts asking " whats the status with my suv"? :)

Thanks, fellow rangies!!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
Re: Remote fob not working and key wont turn in ignition - FML

first the car battery needs to be charged or replaced,
low voltage will prevent the key from turning

NOTE a jump start is not charging the battery,
if the battery is low and the alternator is used to charge it,
you can burn out a diode in the alternator,
then you will need an alt and a battery

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
97 Posts

The first time i changed my key fob battery the little black chip that sits above the battery fell out. Not knowing what it was i left it on the table and later found the key wouldn't turn in the ignition without it. Not sure if yours fell out as well but its worth checking.

·
Registered
4 Posts

were you able to fix the problem. Also, were you able to find out what was the problem why it wouldn't start?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts