RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a MY 2000 car for parts in August and we have been having a devil of a time getting the wheels off. If the previous owner had needed to put the spare on at any time he would never have gotten a wheel off. Those aluminum alloy wheels all seem to corrode at the hub and get stuck. I see the service manual for the P38 and L322 both say you should put anti-seize on the hubs whenever changing a wheel. I don't think the owner's manual mention this which is a bit of an oversight I think. I guess Land Rover doesn't expect owners to be removing/replacing their own wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
If you ever find yourself with a flat tyre and the wheel is stuck on the hub, there is an easy solution: loosen the wheel nuts but don't take them off completely and then go for a drive, make some turns and seek out potholes/crubs etc, the wheel is sure to come lose.
Not so easy if you're working on a car that's not running...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps driving slowly ahead and jamming the brakes would break it loose? I once had to give a truck stuck in the snow with a flat tire a good yank with my pull strap to break his wheel free.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Should try out spraying some fluid film on the hub every time you take the wheel off. Stuff works wonders.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sit down & kick the wheel rim hard with both feet ive had to do it on several cars with alloys .

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
That won't help the tyre much (assuming it is flat and not just down a little).
Agreed you have to be careful not to damage the rim (if the tyre's flat, I wouldn't care much about it). But it is the fastest and easiest way if you're on the road and need to change a tyre.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We finally got the fourth wheel off my parts car. Had to use a big gear puller and a pipe on the breaker bar. Did everything else including dragging the car sideways twice. I think this car had been sitting unused for maybe a year and that did not help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts