RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. My only concern is reliability. In doing my research that topic often comes up. Is this a past problem still lingering in the press or is it real? I've never owned a Land Rover/Range Rover and would like your opinion.

All the SUVs I've owned have been BMW X5s (4.6is, 4.8is) and Jeeps (Grand Cherokee, Wranglers). I've found the X5s to be more luxurious and reliable than the Jeeps. I've found the Jeeps to be better off road and a better bang for the buck. I currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. The SRT8 is quick and the Wrangler can go anywhere. And my third car is a BMW M6. Yes performance is important to me. Do you think I"ll be pleased with a RRSS?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
I had a 02 X5 4.4, BMW M5, 04 RR HSE and now have a 08 RRSSC and a 09 Audi S5. I love my RRSSC, I bought it 9/19/08 and it's got 19K on it already. So much fun to drive and no one expects the unleashing of the RRSSC beast when you tromp on it. All of my friends and family call mine the " white wilder beast " . I also have the 09 Audi S5 and yes that car is fun to drive as well, BUT for everyday, any weather, anytime, anywhere driving 90% of the time I'm in the " Rova " . My RRSSC has had a few " bugs" but what car/suv doesn't?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
For reliability of 06-09, browsing this board should give you a good idea of worst-case scenarios of potential problems you may expect. You will find some horror stories for sure (along with some owners who have had no significant problems to report), but the majority of the issues people seem to be experiencing are of the "annoying", rather than catastrophic, variety: Lots of S/C owners complain about a persistent knock/clunk heard over bumps - probably a byproduct of the complicated Dynamic Response system and/or the use of some overly soft bushings that make the ride comfortable but don't last as long as they should. Brakes squeak and are expensive to service. Electronic and electrical gremlins pop up every now and then, many of them clear up after a "reboot" but some require a dealer's intervention or a software update. The adaptive transmission is not as smart as ZF would have you believe, and neither engine is a speed demon because the car is so overweight. Random squeaks and rattles, some fit and finish issues that pop up after a few months... Stuff like that. The current Jaguar engines have generally been flawless though, and after a shaky start and a service campaign to take care of leaky valves and weak compressors, Land Rover must have figured out our trick suspensions as we don't get too many reports of problems with them as we did back in 2006. I'd say reliability is probably average when compared to vehicles in this class and with this level of sophistication. While the car may be no Lexus in the reliability department, it's not a bore to drive either, quite the opposite. It drives and handles great. And considering how much fun they are on the road, they are amazingly capable off road vehicles as well. Too bad that most owners never take their Sport off the beaten path to experience its impressive "point and shoot" capabilities on all but the most treacherous terrains, even in 100% stock form. That's where Land Rover spent a lot of money when developing these cars, and I personally feel owners who buy them just for looks or on-road use only get a 50% return on the money they spent. No wonder some of them feel they are overpriced. :wink:

2010s are a facelift of the 06-09s, but a fairly heavy one: New engines, revised transmission, new "smart" shocks, new brakes, a lot of new gee-whiz electronic stuff inside the car and under the hood. Lots of the problems we are experiencing may have been addressed. Or, God help us, they may become much worse. :shock: But most owners who own a Land Rover and put up with its idiosyncrasies for more than a few months eventually figure out that these cars have a lot more to offer than some JD Power statistics, and are probably as excited as I am to see how these new models will perform.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Just read this fresh off the press, disregard every other owner satisfaction studies out there and run to buy a Sport before you change your mind: http://www.roverparts.com/News/Archive/ ... uality.cfm (link pasted from the General Chatter.)

I think it more or less confirms that Land Rover owners are a bunch of masochistic fools, who love their cars to a fault and will put up with almost anything for the pleasure of driving one. :lol:

Seriously though, I think a lot of our perceived "reliability" issues are directly related to the sorry way many of us are treated at our local dealer after the sale, when something does go wrong. The service experience, efficiency and honesty of a dealer is what owners usually remember when they get one of those reliability surveys in the mail. If you have to go back to the shop 3 times for the same problem and then get nickeled and dimed for a loaner car on top of it, you probably tend to lower your score on that reliability survey, no? The dealer network, rather than the cars, is where Land Rover lags way behind other luxury car marques, IMHO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an 08 RRS and absolutely love it.

I have had a number of BMW's in the past and frankly, they have become boring and
quality is way down. 5 Series are as common as Honda Accords. In addition, used
ones are cheap, so everyone in the world is buying a 5 series.

The RRS, even used with a lot of miles, never really get that inexpensive.

The only irritating problem it had (17k miles) was that clunking noise from up front when
turning / going over bumps. The dealer has found the problem and it is as solid as a rock
now.

The engines and transmissions are rumored to be bullet proof and I tend to agree.

And actually, the MPG has been very good, for a 6k pound vehicle. 18 city / up to 20-21 on the highway.

Buy one. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have had land rovers since 2000. my current rrs is an 06 i have 108, 000 on it.. no problems and i dont plan even thinking about getting rid of it till it reaches 200,000. i drive them and love them, they have always loved me back. when i bought my sport i went in to put a deposit on a yr old hse with 5000 miles when i saw the sport sitting on the showroom the first day it was at my dealership. i had to have it, so i bought it....lol i said it then and ill say it now, its the best looking truck on the road, and its no socc moms suv..

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
64 Posts
Nice call ctf. I've owned two RRSs with no problems ('06 and '08). In fact, the RRS has the highest dependability in its class per JD Power (ok technically # 2 if you discount the no-longer made Lincoln LT) - AND that's based on 2006 models, so it achieved that even in its first year of production. Pretty impressive for a technologically-laden car.

Have fun with your new car - I can't wait for the 2010...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts