Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a 2003 Range Rover with 90K miles, and have a few questions.
I am looking into extended warranty plans, but so far have only found 1, from Auto Advantage. Are there better companies/coverage for the RR?
I know that Land Rovers require extensive maintenance, but i also know many people with much older models.
Once the components are replaced, is the vehicle pretty reliable?
If not, should i opt for the Power Train extended warranty, or should i get more coverage?

Also, i know there have been recalls on the steering components and the catalytic converter, and am wondering if it is too late to call the dealership in my city and have these items checked, replaced?

The limit on the Catalytic converter is 11 yrs or 120K miles, and idk if there is one for the steering components.
If it is covered, would i have to pay to have it checked, or is everything on them?

Thank you in Advance!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
Extended warranties are not worth it. If you have the money to put into one, it would best be spent on a newer/lower mileage car. Of course, that's just my experience.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had my '04 up to 160k miles. It was always reliable, you have to keep up with maintenance though. I would never ever get an extended warranty, I've heard too many horror stories with those things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, a lower mileage would be a much better decision, but unfortunately the 12K 2003 I'm looking into is already pushing my budget.
Yes, I've heard bad things about some extended warranties too, but I'd much rather put in 100-200 a month than thousands if something where to break.
I guess I'm just looking to hear from a 2003 owner about repairs after 100K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my '04 up to 160k miles. It was always reliable, you have to keep up with maintenance though. I would never ever get an extended warranty, I've heard too many horror stories with those things.
Yes, i have heard bad things too. But i guarantee they aren't as bad as an unexpected bill for a couple thousand.
I have an estimate for a Power Train warranty through auto advantage for about 1,300, or $75/month for 12 months.

I guess my question is this: is a power train warranty enough to justify the warranty, or should i opt for the next level up, which covers electrical issues as well, for an added 1,300?

Just trying to get an idea from past owners about what exactly ends up needing replaced around and after the 100K mile mark? (excluding maintenance, of course.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah, a lower mileage would be a much better decision, but unfortunately the 12K 2003 I'm looking into is already pushing my budget.
Yes, I've heard bad things about some extended warranties too, but I'd much rather put in 100-200 a month than thousands if something where to break.
If you're looking to only put 100-200 dollars for repairs when the time happens, and have very little mechanical skills, this really isn't the car for you. Being a 03 I can almost guarantee you'll be looking at problems in the near future if you purchase it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're looking to only put 100-200 dollars for repairs when the time happens, and have very little mechanical skills, this really isn't the car for you. Being a 03 I can almost guarantee you'll be looking at problems in the near future if you purchase it.
I plan on purchasing a warranty from auto advantage that covers the power train plus electrical and a whole lost of things that I've read cause frequent issues.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If it were as easy as adding $100 to the payment and saving a couple thousand, the warranties would be great. But they find a way to weasel out of paying, so you usually loose double. I know guys that lucked out and saved a bundle with an EW, but your odds are better in Vegas! Trust me, the house always wins!

And I agree with Mirage. Do not stretch your budget to buy a RR. You need to keep at least a $grand in reserve for these cars. They are great, but they need continuous, and pricey, MX.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd make sure the oil has been changed at least every 7K, and it's had at least one trans fluid/filter change. Otherwise you have increased the gamble....All the other problematic items can be changed very easily (Radiator, Hoses, Coolant Tank).

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just picked up an '05 with 100,000 miles for 10k. They are basically the same except for the upgraded touch screen NAV in the '05. I did a lot of research on extended warranties. The most reputable companies wanted ridiculous money for 3/36. This is based on the high mileage and the reputation for these vehicles. One company came in much more reasonably. The difference made me look deeper. Their BBB ratings and customer reviews were horrendous. Another tip to them being scammers was that they didn't even want to inspect the car first. I spoke to a guy who represented one of the better companies and he had an opinion I agreed with. Put that payment money aside, then you'll have it towards repairs. If you don't need them, you've got that extra money in your pocket. You may still get hit with a big bill, but what good is the warranty if they're going to not pay it out? It's a crap shoot with a car with this many miles, but I went into it with my eyes wide open. As soon as I got it, I had some things done to it so I know where I stand. New brakes and rotors, oil change, I needed a new caliper. My alternator seemed inconsistent, so I put a new one in. I believe it was causing some electrical gremlins which have now ceased. I also picked up the All Comms device/software to clear the codes and self diagnose in the future. My water pump was original, so I had a new one put in and I had the transmission filter and fluid replaced. Fortunately my mechanic is good with these vehicles/BMWs. So I'm in to it for 10k plus about another 2800. She's seems great so far. I'm new to these vehicles and have spent much time lurking here getting educated. If I can help with advice in any way, let me know. I think you can find one for a bit cheaper, but either way, best of luck. Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do your homework. Get someone to check over the vehicle and with an "educated buy" you should be ok. Mine has 124K now and no problems. I have the BMW Diesel which is flawless. I have had a couple of niggles electrically but easily solved. Apart from REGULAR on time servicing and essentials such as brake consumables its as regular as any other car I have owned. Some years back I owned a Discovery for 4 years and all I EVER did to it apart from a 20p gasket leaking fuel was brake consumables and usual filters. I sold it in perfect order and indeed it went on for years! They are good reliable motors. In particular 2002 on with the TD 6 is the pick of the bunch for everyday use IN MY OPINION before I get a load of messages! I get over 25 mpg regularly and over 30mpg at motorway speeds on cruise and for a large 4 x 4 this is very acceptable.... Anyway GOOD LUCK, look carefully and you will not regret it!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What happened at 160K? And where there any major repairs after you hit 100K?
I had nothing that I would consider a major repair. It was still running great, drove exactly like a RR should.... but I was tempted by the '07 SC which I now have... had been watching the '07-'08 SC drop in prices to the point where I eventually saw one which cost less than what I paid for my '04... the newer features, slightly better MPG, way more power, and not having to deal with the PCV hoses on the M62 every winter were the main motivating factors.

In terms of the engine itself, I didn't have to do much... changed the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, etc, etc... scheduled maintenance. The worst thing I had to repair was the valley pan sealing plate. It was cheap and straightforward, but just a pain to access it and do the work.

The part that had the most niggles was the MKIII nav computer which I eventually replaced with an MKIV and had no further issues.

Had I kept it much longer I was going to replace the plastic timing chain guides as preventative maintenance... who knows how long the originals would last but I would have replaced them just in case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if your pushing the envelope @ 12k. this really isn’t a car for you. this is a hands on truck. little things that can come up have to be repaired by owners. you cannot run to the mechanic for every little thing never mind the dealer.
The extended aftermarket warranty will NOT cover all the little bs that these trucks are notorious for such as electrical components and that’s another issue with these rr's

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
79 Posts
There are two kinds of Range Rover owners. Rich and snotty ones, and DIY types. There are some that cross these normaly well defined lines, and can fit in both groups. (I might be one of them) The rich folks that like to show off in their RRs (at least here in SoCal), are the ones that keep their Rovers at the shop, and complain about it. They say that the thing is in the shop, more than it is on the road. Needless to say this COSTS a lot of money.

The other group is DIY types, that are "RR enthusiasts", and they don't mind working on these things themselves, and some actually take pleasure in problem solving, workarounds, and fixing. Most problems on these trucks are easily fixed. The shop bill gets inflated by the "diagnostics", and they WILL charge you HOURS of labor to "figure it out". My approach is somewhat different.

I LIKE to work on the machinery (but I don't have to). I have a mechanic that charges me straight labor rate, and since I believe that EVERYONE I am paying in one way or the other, works for me,....I am the Boss. I do my own research, scroll the web for all information I can find, and when I pinpoint the issue (and its solution), I decide what to do. If I have time, I do it myself. If I don't, I give it to him with SPECIFIC instructions on what to do,....no more, and no less.

With this approach, I am maintaining a fleet of two Jags, one MBZ, one Hummer H1, one GMC truck, three motorcycles, and a Piper Comanchee, and a new addition,....06 RR.

About extended warranties: Back in the mid to late 90s, I owned two car dealeships (VW, Saab, Subaru and Buick, Isuzu). We LOVED extended warranties!! Made us a lot of money on the "back end". Were they useless for the unsuspecting public? For the most part, YES. These things have PAGES of "fine print", and if you are seriously considering buying something like that, I suggest you take a good mechanic with you, and read EVERY WORD. The mechanic will understand (better than you) what's covered (and under which conditions), what's not, and why.

So,....you need to ask yourself which group of the RR owners would you belong to? Can you work on the vehicle yourself? Do you have decently equipped garage?
Or do you need to pay someone to do everything on your car? Car purchase is most of the time an emotional decision. DON'T DO IT! Don't make emotional decisions,.....EVER. Think, analyze, plan, and execute.

So much from me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Once again:

My 05 is at 125K, and has been one of the most reliable cars (truck) that I have ever owned, with exception to the 911's. There was no change in expense on the north side of 100K. The big ones for me were the 60K and 120K, as those were the major's. With the 120, I also did the valve covers, very easy. It's a gamble, as it does not always work out that way with the 03-05 trucks. If 12K is pushing your budget, then I would think you need to be able to work on it yourself, and it is probably not a good idea if it is your only DD. The BMW trucks are very easy to work on with regards to the cooling system (Rad, Hoses), Belts, Valve Cover Gaskets, PCV, Plugs, Oil, and Filters. You need to make sure that the oil has been changed at around 7K intervals. Shine a flashlight into the oil filler area and look at the cams. If it's black, I'd walk away. I'd also make sure the trans has been serviced at least once, around 50-60K. If you cannot work on it, I'd find a shop that you would be going to and ask for various maint prices to get an idea, as that WILL be a cost to content with, as well as the unexpected....Good Luck...

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
956 Posts
if your pushing the envelope @ 12k. this really isn’t a car for you. this is a hands on truck. little things that can come up have to be repaired by owners. you cannot run to the mechanic for every little thing never mind the dealer.
The extended aftermarket warranty will NOT cover all the little bs that these trucks are notorious for such as electrical components and that’s another issue with these rr's
I agree completely with this. I have an '04 with the EW from Auto Advantage. The EW is for a major failure - transmission primarily. It did cover the water pump when it went, but this was only a few hundred dollars and if I didn't have the EW I would have done it myself for a lot less (I had no problems with AA on this repair). Generally, there will be small problems here and there that will not be covered by the EW. For example, the 4WD shifter failed on me. This was $600 for a used part and three bolts and a plug to replace. It was easy to fix if you know anything about mechanics. I also have a mechanic that will charge by the book hours and will use my used parts or parts from other suppliers. This also saves a lot, but I go through RAVE and the forum and show him exactly how to do the repair. The truck isn't "hard" to work on if you know what your doing, it's just that very few mechanics have the experience to know and it takes a lot of time to find the solutions. I invest my time to diagnose the problem, figure out if I have the time to do the repair and then fix it myself or take it to my guy. Another example related to the water pump is that I decided to have my mechanic change the radiator at the same time. He would have spent hours trying to figure that one out. I showed him the youtube video and it was easy. I just didn't have the time at that point.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts