RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1999 P38 4.6 and finally started taking apart the relays after cleaning up all electrical connections on the fuse-box and engine. I have multiple issues and discovered that the points on the suspect relays are severely pitted. They are all Siemens. Some the yellow YWB 100 12 and some the green YWB 100 31. I am not finding the OEM relays, and wondering if someone with electrical expertise can advise if the generics are good quality or not. Atlantic British has the generic..

so, looking for the replacements that are quality and will last. Thanks!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I've used both and didn't see any change in lifespan. If you are popping relays, probably for the climate control blower, switching from generic to OEM won't make a difference. For me the fix was changing out the fuse box and its burned contacts. Since then, I have not lost any relays.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi, I have a 1999 P38 4.6 and finally started taking apart the relays after cleaning up all electrical connections on the fuse-box and engine. I have multiple issues and discovered that the points on the suspect relays are severely pitted. They are all Siemens. Some the yellow YWB 100 12 and some the green YWB 100 31. I am not finding the OEM relays, and wondering if someone with electrical expertise can advise if the generics are good quality or not. Atlantic British has the generic..

so, looking for the replacements that are quality and will last. Thanks!

Land Rover direct may have the relays you are wanting to use.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
NorCal is dead on. I removed and disassembled the fuse box and was amazed at the damages. Ordered in the correct fuse box from AB and niggly issues disappeared and never had another failed relay. I only use genuine relays so as to maintain the colour coding on the fuse box and to make sure they are 100% correct. Relays rarely fail. Grab a handful out of a Disco when you find one at a pick n pull. they charge me a buck a shot.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've bought some generic yellow and green relays in the past, and with some of the generic makes did not have a pleasant experience. I don't recall the name of the makes that I had problems with, but with some of the generics the outer plastic shell started to deform and melt. I've gone back to using the OEM relays made by Tyco.

Generics can be had for a few bucks whereas Tycos cost around $20. It costs more to buy Tycos, but they will last longer than cheap generics.

Tyco relays can be bought from Independent shops like Bputah

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.. got some from Atlantic British.. thanks for the tip on the fuse box. I took it out and it looks fine.. cleaned all that I could, and will replace next!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts