RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any difference in Relays R6MD and ++0228? and what is the difference between Green R6MD and Yellow R6MD?Thanks
IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0081.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
The difference between the yellow and green is pretty obvious if you look at them, the green ones have 5 pins and they contain a changeover contact and the yellow only have 4 pins as they are a simple make/break. Relay 17 is an oddball as it has 4 pins but has a dual contact internally to carry the higher power needed by the ABS pump. It looks like at least 3 of your yellow ones need to be replaced, they've been getting hot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the Replys. I just ordered 10 replacements.
(YELLOW) PR2 WEHRLE Part Number: YWB10012LG-P38

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just for information's sake......
The relays, other than #17 are nothing special. They are standard automotive cube relays available anywhere. (try for a non Chinese make). The colour coding is just a cute LR thing.
Further, in a pinch, the extra pin on a 5 pin can be carefully snapped off, and you have a perfectly serviceable 4 pin relay.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Actually if you look at the picture on the relays you'll notice something special. There is either a diode or resistor in parallel with terminals 86/85 that is meant for back EMF suppression. This is to prevent voltage spikes making their way back to the BECM to prevent any damage. I would probably warn against using one that isn't protected. I usually just find a bunch of them at the local junk yard and stock up.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ahh the diode....Thus the "buy quality" remark. Good ones have them.....some cheepos do not.
Thanks for the comment. I hereby amend the suggestion......

Any standard automotive relay with a suppression diode will do.......They do not need to be yellow and green.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Don't use cheap relays though, they don't like the high current drawn by some of the circuits......

rMMOa23.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a couple black relays from AB, I have no idea on their quality. They have no brand or country of origin. I placed an order for the yellow wherle’s from lk8 I believe they are the makers of the oem versions.
I will change the greens and abs relays next month.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
LK8 is a distributor, land rover relays have had a few manufacturers thru the years most recent has been siemens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts