RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regular ping noise from engine bay. No change of frequency with engine speed. Help!

Hi all,
I'm after a bit of assistance... I usually only drive my 2002 4.0 a few miles a day but a couple of months ago I drove a couple o hundred, and towards the end of the journey I could hear what sounded a little like a high pitch alarm going off somewhere. Since then, on most journeys, from the moment I start the engine I get this same high pitched pinging noise from the engine bay. It's regular, like a metronome, and isn't affected at all by engine speed. It sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine bay towards the bulkhead (looking toward the rear). The sound is really quite loud and is a little like a pin hammer tapping hard on cast iron (high pitched, loud, metallic). I thought it may be some relief valve opening somewhere or something but really don't have much clue. Can anyone help? Any ideas?
Cheers,
James

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Re: Regular ping noise from engine bay. No change of frequency with engine speed. Hel

do you have the CVS (canister vent solenoid) in that area?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Re: Regular ping noise from engine bay. No change of frequency with engine speed. Hel

It would have been better if you held the camera in one place for a while. Its not easy to tell where its coming from.

It sounds like a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
408 Posts

I cant help thinking that it sounds like a car alarm chirp, humor me, unplug the connector to the alarm siren/horn on the offside/right inner wing/fender and see if it stops!

·
Registered
931 Posts

I agree with Wreckrunner,it sounds like an electronic chirp from the alarm sounder.I think yours may have the battery backup version and may well be a flat /failed alarm battery warning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It would have been better if you held the camera in one place for a while. Its not easy to tell where its coming from.

It sounds like a ticking time bomb.
Yeah sorry about that, thought moving it about might give you an idea of where the noise was louder, but it didn't really work at all! When you're next to the engine it is clearly louder on the offside toward the bulkhead, but it's very hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

My initial thought was that it could be the alarm, but I wasn't sure where the sounder is located. Is it that side? I'll try disconnecting it this evening or tomorrow and see what happens.

LarryS, I don't know where the CVS solenoid is, or even what it is! What cannister, the ABS reservoir? I'm pretty sure that's down there, so if there's a relief solenoid for that then it could be that I guess. Would that operate in normal conditions or as an overpressure safety valve? If overpressure, shouldn't a sensor tell me there's an ABS problem?

Anyone got any other ideas? I'll try to check them all out in one go!

Thanks a lot for your help,

James

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I agree with Wreckrunner,it sounds like an electronic chirp from the alarm sounder.I think yours may have the battery backup version and may well be a flat /failed alarm battery warning.
Oh, also, wouldn't the alarm also chirp when the engine isn't running if it's the battery?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

i was in the process of writing my post when your 2nd post went up, so i missed that and the video, having seen that now it doesn't sound like my klaxon, but the alarm probably changed since my 95 to your 2001/2.
The CVS is part of the NAS EVAP system, a solenoid that is normally open but can shut to pressurize the fuel line system to test for leaks AFAIK.
The CVS is right next/behind the coolant tank, on the bulkhead, and is controlled/powered by a 2 wire connector. it has a tube going into it from the EVAP canister.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts