RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance.

The smooth black window trim pieces have faded pretty bad and I am wondering if there is a DIY fix for this or do I have them painted or replaced?

I can get them paintied for cheap at a lcoal BMW dealer but not sure who or how to pick out the color?

I have been looking for some type of refurb kit by Mothers, etc. but really dont know if there is one I should get over the other...

I can have them replaced with OEM parts for approx. $ 400 bucks...

Any thoughts?

The peices I am talking about are
1. The large black curved plastic where on the back corners where the back window and side windows meet
2. the then black pieces the run down the 2 sides of the front winshield at the corners.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2006 RRS. I've never really thought the black trim around the doors, or the ones in the rear on the top of the quarter panel looked bad or faded.

But recently I tried out Mother's Back to Black and boy was I surprised. It did more than any Armor-All type product has ever done. It didn't just put a greasy shine on the trim pieces, in a sense "brought it back to life". I also used it on the mirrors, and those look almost brand new now. I did not try it on the black trim on the bumpers or the bottom of the doors. I did try it on the black trim piece under the windshield, it really didn't help there, but that piece did look the worse out of all the trim on my RRS.

I hope this info is useful !! :thumb:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Back to Black. I want my baby back...

Seriously, I heard the back to black is the bomb diggity. It's just hard to find sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Once you try Back to Black you never go back.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This might be worth the "investment", albeit it's easy for me to say since I did this under warranty but...

...Try buying new trim pieces from your dealer and have them installed professionally.

I realize the parts & install (mostly the labor) may be a bit more than refurbishing but if it got you another 5yrs or more it may worth it.
After only a year on my 2008 the trim pieces were all blotchy and discolored - this was on a car that never saw a wet road it's life
and lived inside a garage. Showed the dealer, they replaced the trim and I could never tell the difference. Then upon delivery of
my 2010 the "B" pillar matte black trim pieces (on the doors) were all scratched up. The dealer had to replace those which also
required replacing all the black trim pieces. And again, I would have never known the difference as it looked factory fresh!

Perhaps you can find the parts cheap via vendor then have a body-shop install them... I'm pretty sure that's what my dealer did anyway. :think:

Hope this helps or gives you more options.
:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Got the Back to Black from Kragen for $7 bucks

That %$&# works .. well worth it .. not sure how long it will last on the car but def made a huge difference.

Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you considered getting them wrapped in vinyl? This is what I plan on doing similar to what I had done to my front grill and bumper bar.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts