RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. When I purchased it had already been converted to coil springs. I am bravely (foolishly) refitting the air ride and have some questions.

With Coil Springs Springs:
When I start the truck the dash blinks "eas manual" for a second. The ride height toggle switch has no lights on. The manual lock is not depressed but when I do depress it glows orange.

Air Spring Refit:
I have fitted
  • 4 new air springs
  • Some used ride height sensors from other P38s that I salvaged
  • A freshly rebuilt compressor
  • I bought and o-ring kit and rebuilt the whole valve block
  • a MARS unit to manually air up the air springs
I have completely installed all the air springs and the ride heigh sensors as well as the MARS unit. I can manually air up each spring and it stays up. I am getting air down overnight on the rear. I will hunt the air leaks soon.
I have a copy of the free EAS software and an OBDI II cable for my laptop. I can pull the ride heigh and there are no fault codes registering. The pump runs just fine. Every time I start the truck it immediatly lowers itself the bump stops with no fault on the console.

I have never seen any EAS faults on the dash so I'm guessing an EAS override module was fitted. I looked under the left seat (drivers seat) and I don't see any modules that look like the ones on Atlantic British. The EAS timer is present.

Questions:
  1. Can someone give me a pointer to where the EAS override module might be or an explanation of why there are no faults on the dash?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Once version of the override is located at the BeCM and plugs in series with one of the plugs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the BECM is under the right hand passengers seat. Is that correct?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Yup! Screw behind the fuse access plate and then three push plugs hold the seat base trim on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was able to find the EAS override module under the passengers seat. It was easy to remove and now I see the "max speed 35" warnings on the center console. And thanks for responding so quickly. :)

The next problem I am having is the life lower button does nothing at all. There LED beside each position is not illuminated.

Q: What could it possibly be?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible they disconnected the button entirely?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
that warning means your EAS ECU is in hard fault and needs the errors cleared.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
using the software I was able to clear the EAS fault. I still see no indicators on the lift/lower rocker switch.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
of course depending on what the PO has done - but does the rocker switch light up (not the led's) along with the rest of the interior lights, if it doesn't then there's a good chance the switch is disconnected (or the bulb has gone).

Its likely given all the (4) led's would be light [in hard fault] and reminding the PO of his error and fielding embarrassing questions.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
408 Posts
When I first got my 2001 it was on coils, I have since put it back how it should be on air, sooo much better! Anyway, the height selector rocker switch HAD been disconnected during the castration process! Pull the center console switch panel and reconnect it, then you will be able to check and clear any codes and watch her rise majestically!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no backlight on the rocker switch when the headlights are on so I'm figuring they just disconnected it. I'm going to pull the fascia right now. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that was the problem. The toggle was not connected.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The toggle now works but the truck will not air up any of the springs. I have the EAS software and can select to air individual springs but none of them come up.

I think the pump might not be airing up the air tank. I used the depressurize option for the tank in the software and then disconnected the air line into the drier. I then heard a hiss.

Q: Is there any way to meter the air pressure in the tank itself?
Q: Any idea where I should start the hunt?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after some reading it looks like the truck must be on level ground before messing with the air ride. I moved it into the garage and manually aired up the air springs. I was able to take it from access mode down. One time I got it to back up a little bit.

I see in the software that you can "calibrate" the ride heights. I see the current height values don't match the values stored for low or high so I'm guessing that I will need to do that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the truck will not rise at all with the air ride. The pump runs forever as well. I'm wondering if it is possible that the air tank is leaking or has been disconnected somehow. I did a leak test on all the springs and the valve block with only 1 leak which I fixed. Using the MARS I am able to air up the air spring. Using the EAS I am able to lower the truck without problems.

D

·
0 Posts
Not meant to be stupid questions but is the tank still in place (?!) - and if so is the plug on the end of it in place ?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Dave has a good point. Further during the rebuild how was the condition of the diaphram? If the compressor runs check if no air is coming out from the silencer on the valve block if it does your diaphram is letting the air escape instead of sending it to the tank. If the compressor stops the diaphram is switched to venting mode and letting out the compressed air in the line from the compressor to the non return valve with a puff. Do you hear this? If the answer is no then there could also be something wrong with your compressor not building up pressure. Did you also replace the rubber ring under the discharge valve from the compressor? To check if the discharge valve leaks, remove the hose connection towards the valve block and blow into the hose. There should not be any air going back towards the compressor and the hose should feel as if it is completely closed off.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I timed the EAS pump and it ran for 23 minutes without shutting off. So I'm guessing both the thermal cutout is not working as well as the pump is well worn out. I swapped another used pump that I had but still no luck. The EAS software allows for air down of the main tank. I tried that. The air escaped far to quickly for it to be near full. So I'm guessing that the compressors are the problem. I soaped the air lines from the pump to the valve block. Some small leakage there but it stopped quickly and I tested the union into the tank. There was no leakage there. I'm now off to find the instructions on how to test the thermal cutoff. I am unable to find out how hot the pump is allowed to run. I did measure my 1st pump to be at 213 F which seems too hot.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
if the EAS ecu is running the system (and is not perhaps overridden via the software, if that's what it does) then the overheat switch is not a problem (cutout @120 C, not sure what that is in F), also thinking about why compressors get hot (when working at compressing air) then perhaps that points to zero contribution from the teflon seal. Having worked on the system before the EAS software existed i've got used to doing/troubleshooting pretty much everything from the EAS ecu connector (check "field recovery" on the main site) from here you can monitor system pressure (which you asked about earlier) you can also hear (and activate) individual solenoids

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty sure the EAS pump seal is totally shot. I ordered a replacement and am waiting for delivery. Seem the dealer does not sell that part. Quite a shame.

I'm really looking forward to my EAS working but in the short term I am now engrossed in the blend flap servo replacement. Fun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts