RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any success refinishing the rear light guards? The plastic coating is starting to lift and chip.

How would you remove this? Sand blasting? Torch & flame?

Any ideas or success's from anyone?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone had any success refinishing the rear light guards? The plastic coating is starting to lift and chip.

How would you remove this? Sand blasting? Torch & flame?

Any ideas or success's from anyone?
Sand blasting would probably work best, I did mine last summer with wire brush attachments and sanding wheels then recovered with a coat or 2 of primer and 4 or 5 coats of spray-on plastic dip and rust is starting to show again but I live across the street from the ocean and things rust here overnight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had anything sandblasted, so I wasn't sure if that would be strong enough to remove the coating. I was thinking about Plasti-Dip also. Sine we live in Phoenix, I don't worry about rust.

Anyone else? Ideas?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sandblasting would even be a real pain unless you had most of that paint peeling off. I have heard of somebody burning all the paint off of them to start from scratch... They are not fun.

Here is what i did... (the cheap easy fix) Use a utility knife to cut away the painted areas that are flaking really bad... strip down what you can to bare metal. Use grinder to clean up rust etc. If they are thin like toothpics some good ole bondo and sandpaper can work, if the structural integrity is there. Only fix what is broken... :) Bumper black spray paint is easier to work with than plasti-dip.

If you can find a way to remove all the paint... easily... plasti-dip would be the way to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry, I apparently left out the first step, the plastic/rubber coating that was still on mine was all cracked and brittle and came off easily with a pocket knife, then I attacked with wire brushes, sand paper, anything available. The sand blasting should work better at eliminating the rust than what I used, as far as re-coating I've seen some new and impressive rust inhibiting paints available these days that might work better than plastic dip. I used the plastic dip only because I had a can left over from redoing the ladder on my Disco I a few years ago. The steel or whatever metal these guards are made of is obviously of inferior quality, just my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts