RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - So I'm cruising to to Loveland to work on my tele turns early season (ski hill just outside of Denver, CO) this morning and thinking to myself "gee - I absolutely love my 06 RR S/C more than anything...I'm averaging about 85, shifting gears manually and just absolutely booking up floyd hill and engine breaking on my way down." Life was amazing for the moment...I was absolutely destroying I-70 (safely of course), getting ready to call my buddy Russ who owns the Motor Sports Gallery in Denver (www.thegallerydenver) and thank him for changing my life...and then WHAM!

"Reduced Engine Power" comes up on my dash...I'm like WTF!

Well...I exit at Silver Plume, CO...pull over, turn my girl off, walk around it one time...take some deep breaths (I think I even said a little prayer)...get back in and rev her up and continued my journey without incident again...had some nice tele turns (OK - I honestly suck but am working on it...accomplished alpine skier here trying to make a switch), had a PBR (yes - in a can), some green chili (no tortillas...seriously now!), and made it back home perfectly (and no speeding tickets).

Has anyone experienced something like this...come on...new the car was approaching $100K (thankfully not my deprecation hit). Seriously! I mean what if my son was in the car and we were stuck...what if I had a date with me!

Thoughts?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
:roll: Can you phrase a real question or are we supposed to do story book math problems about a train leaving your turned off girlfriend on the tele at 30mph and another leaving your garage at 45mph and two passengers got in while three got out and your shifting at the time made up for 3 MPH in lost transit time in a previous life while your prayers made up for an additional passenger being an alpine skier in this life.

What are you talking about? What did you have for breakfast? When did you last floss? :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously? I was just having some fun...I thought some people would appreciate how our cars affect our lives and we truly enjoy them with our life styles. Fine...whatever...

In summary (boring): I was driving in the mountains shifting gears up and down and "Reduced Engine Power" comes up on my dash (and there was a noticeable decline in power).

I Stopped.
Turned RR off.
Gave it a few minutes.
Restarted.
No issues.

Questions are:
1) has this happened to anyone and what was your experience?
2) what technically happened to my RR?

Oh...and I floss 2x per day.
I'm off to the pub.
A

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
I would guess that driving the rediculous piss out of your poor defenseless Rangie resulted in a gearbox overheat or sensor out of range. It has hapened on several P38s resulting in a trip for a error code reset. I imagine the L322 was just trying to save herself and let you know to slow down and let the autobox do it's job. :lol:

·
Registered
952 Posts
My 06 has been known to throw out the occasional error message that never amounts to anything. Never had that particular one but I have had multiple suspension errors and engine warning lights come on only to disappear after the next restart with no ill effect and no apparent cause. So I wouldn't be too worried. Welcome to RR ownership.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
atejano said:
OK - So I'm cruising to to Loveland to work on my tele turns early season (ski hill just outside of Denver, CO) this morning and thinking to myself "gee - I absolutely love my 06 RR S/C more than anything...I'm averaging about 85, shifting gears manually and just absolutely booking up floyd hill and engine breaking on my way down." Life was amazing for the moment...I was absolutely destroying I-70 (safely of course), getting ready to call my buddy Russ who owns the Motor Sports Gallery in Denver (http://www.thegallerydenver) and thank him for changing my life...and then WHAM!

"Reduced Engine Power" comes up on my dash...I'm like WTF!

Well...I exit at Silver Plume, CO...pull over, turn my girl off, walk around it one time...take some deep breaths (I think I even said a little prayer)...get back in and rev her up and continued my journey without incident again...had some nice tele turns (OK - I honestly suck but am working on it...accomplished alpine skier here trying to make a switch), had a PBR (yes - in a can), some green chili (no tortillas...seriously now!), and made it back home perfectly (and no speeding tickets).

Has anyone experienced something like this...come on...new the car was approaching $100K (thankfully not my deprecation hit). Seriously! I mean what if my son was in the car and we were stuck...what if I had a date with me!

Thoughts?
I enjoyed the story - thanks :lol:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
How about don't drive it like a dick in the future? I'm glad I don't live over there, I'd hate to get your used cars!

Out of sympathy for your Range Rover I will suggest you get the oil changed in the gearbox, for every 10'c over spec it halves the oils life.

And seriously? You post on an "enthusiasts" forum that you ragged the hell out of your Range Rover and you expect a pleasant response!?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
How about don't drive it like a dick in the future? I'm glad I don't live over there, I'd hate to get your used cars!

Out of sympathy for your Range Rover I will suggest you get the oil changed in the gearbox, for every 10'c over spec it halves the oils life.

And seriously? You post on an "enthusiasts" forum that you ragged the hell out of your Range Rover and you expect a pleasant response!?
Not sure what the point of the Supercharged version is if you cannot drive it fast? (Sometimes) Same goes for using the manual shift as if it was not supposed to be there it wouldn't be and there no point using it if your just touring around surely...

Anyway driving a £80K S/C fast (enthusiastically) on Mountain roads SHOULD be an option even if not a sensible one (and even if your a dick) and certainly does not disqualify you from being an enthusiast.

Its Broad Church RR owning me thinks :D

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
Dan_UK_1984 said:

Not sure what the point of the Supercharged version is if you cannot drive it fast? (Sometimes) Same goes for using the manual shift as if it was not supposed to be there it wouldn't be and there no point using it if your just touring around surely...

Anyway driving a £80K S/C fast (enthusiastically) on Mountain roads SHOULD be an option even if not a sensible one (and even if your a dick) and certainly does not disqualify you from being an enthusiast.

Cruise down the motorway at 130 by all means, own people at the lights with a relitively good 0-60 time. But to expect it to race round mountain roads is asking for trouble, I learnt that the hard way on trip back from wales with some enthusiastic driving and overheated the gearbox....

The brakes aren't up to the job of race style driving so you often have to rely on the gearbox/engine to slow you down a significant amount or suffer significant brake-fade, but the heat has to go somewhere and it usually ends up in the gearbox. The trouble is that the RR is immense and it actually handles well (relatively speaking for a huge car) so it's tempting to chuck it about. But at the end of the day, some sympathy for the mechanical components and understanding their limits goes a long way! For example, slinging it round corners, braking harshly, braking in corners (CBC rules) is all well and good, but when you come to the next corner the TC wont work because you'll have soft brakes and engine intervention might not be able to stop the back end from stepping out, or next time you brake in a corner and are used to CBC cutting in, it wont.

Drive it like you stole it - if you can afford the repair bills.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Happened to me as well once with my 06 RRS HSE (non S/C), as I was driving up a local mountain at "spirited" pace the Reduced Engine Performance message popped up and I lost nearly all power, was barely able to coast to a safe stop to the side of the road. Like you I turned the engine off, waited a few minutes and restarted. Problem gone, never had that message again (and I have been up that mountain road several times since...) At the time I thought the fairly quick change in altitude and atmospheric pressure had perhaps tricked the MAF sensor into thinking something was wrong with the intake. Who knows though, since it never reoccurred. In your case, it could also be a malfunctioning supercharger cooling pump, the symptoms would be about the same. Oh, and the good folks over at Solihull did miswire a few of those on a Friday afternoon after tea, see enclosed TSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Solution: Get the HSE instead and drive it like a comfortable SUV and then pick up a low miles used Lotus Elise with the money you save buying the HSE instead of the Supercharged.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can relate. The fact that the RRSC costs nearly $100k does not make it a performance machine to compete with a Porsche, M7, Camaro, Corvette or even a Mustang. It's a 3-ton beast built for moderately impressive off-road capability and prestige.
It may seem reasonable that the price should make it bulletproof, but in reality, it does have it's mortal limitations.
The diagnosis by the more knowledgable-than-I makes perfect sense to me!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Give the guy a break, these things are meant to be driven. It's not like he was tracking the thing, just normal aggressive driving which is completely fine.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It's simply a built in software function which is there to protect the engine. You may need to check on how the vehicle is being serviced/maintained etc to find out if there is another hidden problem.

Yes, ideally it shouldn't have happened, but on that day could well have prevented the engine [email protected] itself, and then you having to pay to get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Gazellio said:
Dan_UK_1984 said:

The point of the supercharger isn't so you can, "drive fast," if you want to drive fast buy a sports car. Obviously range rovers don't like being driven, "fast," based on all the errors they spew when you abuse them... The main purpose of the supercharger is to deliver more low end power in off road situations... In regard to the manual shift, you missed the point again... They didn't drop that in there for 0-60 launching off a stop lights, or banging gears on the highway... Its there for better control off road.

Range rover enthusiasts under stand this, ignorant owners do not.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
brad s1 said:
Gazellio said:
[quote="Dan_UK_1984":2a85z27f]How about don't drive it like a dick in the future? I'm glad I don't live over there, I'd hate to get your used cars!

The point of the supercharger isn't so you can, "drive fast," if you want to drive fast buy a sports car. Obviously range rovers don't like being driven, "fast," based on all the errors they spew when you abuse them... The main purpose of the supercharger is to deliver more low end power in off road situations... In regard to the manual shift, you missed the point again... They didn't drop that in there for 0-60 launching off a stop lights, or banging gears on the highway... Its there for better control off road.

Range rover enthusiasts under stand this, ignorant owners do not.[/quote:2a85z27f]

My point was you pays your money and you does what you like. I did not see the WARNING:
do not to use the manual shift unless off-roading
in the handbook!

Or:
Warning only buy a Supercharged if you want low end grunt off-road do not drive rapidly on-road in any circumstances
Anyway if S/C are mainly designed for off-road use why are they supplied with Road only tyres surely they should be big Mud Pluggers? In the REAL WORLD most buyers of the S/C want a Prestige Luxury 4X4 mainly for road use and the occasional green lane jaunt.

Oh and I am anything but ignorant thank you. Save your insults for the little guys in your local bar.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

Range rover enthusiasts under stand this, ignorant owners do not.[/quote]

My point was you pays your money and you does what you like. I did not see the WARNING:
do not to use the manual shift unless off-roading
in the handbook!

Or:
Warning only buy a Supercharged if you want low end grunt off-road do not drive rapidly on-road in any circumstances
Anyway if S/C are mainly designed for off-road use why are they supplied with Road only tyres surely they should be big Mud Pluggers? In the REAL WORLD most buyers of the S/C want a Prestige Luxury 4X4 mainly for road use and the occasional green lane jaunt.

Oh and I am anything but ignorant thank you. Save your insults for the little guys in your local bar.[/quote]

Of-course if you own something its your decision if you want to abuse it or not. Its a different story posting on an enthusiasts web board then being surprised you're being flamed for your actions.

The supercharger for the range rover is fit for low end grunt! This is why they chose a roots style blower over a centrifugal blower or turbo. These blowers generally do not perform well at WOT for any long duration of time since they become heat soaked causing additional issues as combustion translates to usable power down the line... Even when inter-cooled the roots style blower is only efficient for a short amount of time... If you were to dyno a roots supercharged car back to back 10 times, the power would diminish a bit each time... The buildup of heat/running lean as a result of abusing this type of platform will eventually cause internal damage, or in the case of most of you guys, annoying error messages as the rover is equipped to protect you against your ignorant tendencies. It isn't designed to rip through all the gears at WOT to 160mph, it just isn't! If it didn't have a computer to let you know you're abusing it, you'd know when a head gasket pops, or a piston melts, etc...

Of-course the supercharged rover is fitted with road tires and will probably spend most of its life on pavement, but regardless how the supercharged range rover is presented to the consumer, if you abuse it, threads like this will pop up.

As far as you're not being ignorant regarding this discussion, I have to disagree, unless you have experience building supercharged engines and rebuilding roots/screw style superchargers bow out.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I have to concur with the point of the S/C over a Turbo, you get the power throughout the range, which is good in ALL situations. Whether it's off road and you need to power up a hill, towing or a bit more grunt whilst overtaking etc.

But at the end of the day, driving a Range Rover like a sports car is just asking for trouble, and the OP has been handed some! At least drive it in Auto/sport to let the gearbox ECU manage the shift changes rather than just bouncing it off the limiter!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts