RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
OK, so I have a 2006 RRS HSE with 150k miles. I filled up with the same Premium Fuel I always use on Thursday, then drove home. Friday I ran a few errands in the morning, parked it till evening and after driving for 5 minutes got the REP, a flashing engine light, and then a steady engine light. I have tried restarting it and its still there. I cant go over 30mph and it runs very rough. Took it to the auto parts store had the codes read.

Misfire on startup
cylinder 4 misfire
cylinder 5 misfire

I have gone through the other threads on this subject but nothing seams to match my issue. could this be bad fuel? I am 400 miles from the nearest dealer, is this something i can fix without going to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I had same rough idle and found cyl 5 was misfireing so I swaped cly 3 & 5 ignition coils and problem went to cyl 3. I replaced the ignition coil ($45 @ Advance auto) and all was well. Not hard to do at all. Just remove the oil cap then engine cover (replace oil cap) remove cover over ignition coils and remove one small bolt. Pull the coil wire and pull it out. Replace and you should be good. Or you did get bad gas. Never know. Some say it is bad to fill up when the tanker is filling the station's tanks as it stirs up the sediment and sends it to your tank. Never know. Best of luck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My friends lr3 had misfire syymton on start-up after filling up at shell .. turned out to be bad gas. Add a bottle of gas cleaner (Walmart Supertech fuel cleaner is cheap and fine) - see if that improves the issue. Else swap coils as suggested above-when were plugs changed ? - and then swap injectors and see if problem follows those components one at a time ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I put new coil boots on cylinder 4 & 5 (also installed all new plugs in since i was already in the area...lol) and still the same codes, so now i will be putting in 2 new injectors tomorrow, really hope this fixes the problem. My gut is telling me bad gas clogged the injectors or some jerk put something in my tank....either way i put in some cleaner but it has not helped so far. Any other ideas would be welcomed.....I really miss my evening drives in the sticks in my rangie and even a new pair of kicks doesnt look as good on me as i do driving my rangie! lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone help please?! So now it is "misfire cylinder 2" and I have swapped coils, injectors, installed new spark plugs and still the same code every time. Does this mean it's in the wiring or the ECM?! Help help

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Your post does not really say your plan but I assume you have a methodology as to swapping ignition coils and not just throwing money at the problem. I'm not sure if I read it correctly but did you also replace fuel injectors? How was that, hard?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Edit... have you used up the tank of gas yet? That could still be the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts