RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Big-T here and thanks to some redneck, jerkoff who passed me on a back road head on doing about 60 MPH last week while Little-C and I were out exploring the mountians around here I now need both headlight and both fog light assemblies and a new windshield too. Everone else that we came across on the mountain roads that day slowed right down and pulled as far over as we could as is proper edicate when driving on gravel roads around here and most people waved to us for doing the same. I kick myself now for not turning around and chasing that idiot down and teaching him a lesson but I had the wife with me and you never know what kind of nutjob you will run into these days. :evil: :evil: :evil: If anybody knows of someone who has been rear ended and has had their truck written off I would love to buy all the front end components off their wreck, or if someone has a set kicking around after a conversion job I'd sure appreciate a call. Thanks in advance to whomever can help, I've been pricing out new one's and holy s**t they're not cheap! :crybaby2: Any tips would really help, Thanks. Big-T :x :x :x

·
Registered
701 Posts
Was it lime stone or volcanic rock? Cause insurance doesn't cover those... :lol: j/k. If you are like me and have liability only, then you gotta bite the bullet and pay for it. The lights are not too bad from what I can remember. However, the windshields WOW. Try ebay for the headlights, they usually go for about $50 to 100 depending on the day. Fog lights run $30 to 40. Windshield... idk where to start sorry. Next time you see that jerk you ought to let all the air out two of his tires (not slash) or have him pulled over when he gets drunk, although you might have something better in mind :wink: . Thats too bad that happened, but good luck to ya.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, glass insurance, over here in North America, would raise the price of my insurance threefold so I opted out of it. Sure I kick myself today but if I were to have opted in for the extra coverage it would still cost me more for insurance this year alone then it would cost to replace it all myself today. I'm not kidding or exagerating either, my monthly insurance bill ( and I am over 50 and have NEVER had an accident that was my fault) is $100 a month and that's minimum coverage just to get me on the road. If even I ,at 50 were to go for full coverage with collision, comp, glass, which is seperate by the way, I would be paying almost $500 a month so it's just not an option for me. The private insurance industry over here has been driven to unbelievable costs to us all by PROFIT, it's a total scam on the public when you read about the 400 million in profit they made in the first quarter of last year and they are still lobbying to take, take, take.. The one's I feel truly sorry for are the young people ( under 25 ) who are paying yearly bill's of thousands of dollars a year. Most of the young guy's over here are stuck with monthly payments of $350 to $500 a month just to get on the road. When I was a kid I used to pay $200 a year for full coverage and never heard of monthly payment's for insurance, that's something that started in the eighty's over here. And now they're going around capping soft tissue injuries at $4000 no matter what. For god's sake, we are all made off soft tissue and bone's so what else is there? And people do nothing about it and are fooled by these shiester's at the insurance companies who tell us that soft tissue claim payout's are the reason our insurance is so expensive, what a load of bulls88t that is. they have really pulled the wool over all of our eye's, if you believe that, I have some lovely beachfront property for sale in central Florida you should see.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Scott, your message came in while I was in the middle of heatedly typing my rant. It was just your good old back road gravel, which consists of 2 inch minus road mulch, as we call it over here. I'm sure the rock that hit my windshield was about 2 inches around, because I saw it coming, and couldn't do a **** thing about it, but think 'this is gonna hurt'. :crybaby2: Finding the guy isn't an option as we were about 250 miles from home and don't get into that area too often. What I like to do is go to Google Earth, and zoom in on mountain roads around here, get the GPS coordinates off the screen and go searching for them in the truck. I'll post some pictures of some of the places we've gone when I can figure out how to download the pics I have onto the site, 'cuz there all too big, too many bites, to load on the site. I haven't found any of the prices you quoted, but I'll look on e-Bay and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip. I hate private insurance, it should all be non-profit driven, as it's something we MUST have in order to drive our cars on the precious roads. Wouldn't it be nice to own an insurance company and screw people as much as you like? :twisted: I wonder how rich you have to begin with in order to start up an insurance company of your own, maybe all of us Rover owners should get together and start a movement to stop this kind of thievery. :lol: LOL As if they'd let us. Big-T :thumb: P.S. Everybody please forgive my long rants today, as I'm a little PO'd, as you can imagine. At least he didn't get my paint job as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sorry, I forget how lucky some of us are with insurance costs. I'm paying < US$260 per year fully comp with glass buyout (the glass buyout is ~US$15), but that is on a car value of US$5000

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rogan, Can we come live with you? LOL :lol: We haven't paid insurance rates like that since the late 70's. :crybaby2: How much do you pay for a gallon or liter of gas? We pay $1.16 per liter for 91 octane. It regularly costs me $90 to fill it up when the fuel light's on. And that's here in Alberta, you know, where the Oil Sands are, where most of the Oil left in the world is. :shock: Forgive me, I'm ranting again. When I got my licence in 1977 it cost me $5 to fill my tank in my '69 Beattle, and the next car I bought was a '74 Grand Prix with a 455 in it and it cost me $10 to fill the tank, and that thing would smoke the tires for as long as I wanted it to. Ahhh, the good old days. Big-T

·
Registered
701 Posts
big-t said:
Rogan, Can we come live with you? LOL :lol: We haven't paid insurance rates like that since the late 70's. :crybaby2: How much do you pay for a gallon or liter of gas? We pay $1.16 per liter for 91 octane. It regularly costs me $90 to fill it up when the fuel light's on. And that's here in Alberta, you know, where the Oil Sands are, where most of the Oil left in the world is. :shock: Forgive me, I'm ranting again. When I got my licence in 1977 it cost me $5 to fill my tank in my '69 Beattle, and the next car I bought was a '74 Grand Prix with a 455 in it and it cost me $10 to fill the tank, and that thing would smoke the tires for as long as I wanted it to. Ahhh, the good old days. Big-T
$90 canadian I assume, OUCH. I paid about $70 US for my last tank :oops: . Fuel prices just suck.... I pay $66 a month for my insurance, liability only. It was nearly 200 a month for full coverage. In little over a year, I would have paid for my P38 over again if i chose that plan.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think we're more expensive than both USA and Australia. 98RON is about NZ$1.65 per litre (changes every day) which is US$1.12.

Just paid my insurance for my BMW 540 (1998 model). Fully comprehensive with glass buyout premium=US$407, excess=US$170 on an agreed value of US$7000. 40yrs old, 60% no claims bonus and have other policies with the insurer; I could probably get it down a bit if I hunted around but I'm with an insurer that has a reputation for paying out. I live in the highest risk area so if I moved to some contry bumpkin town then the premium would halve, but then I'd have to have my roght toe sown onto my left hand and learn to play the banjo, so there is a downside.

Insurance isn't compulsory over here, but I wouldn't drive without it.

Car registration is about US$170 annually

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
big-t said:
I did have some sympathy for the windscreen and lights (glass cover is included in my insurance but it has a £60 excess), I was still with you when you were moaning about insurance (I'm paying £387 to insure a £1900 Audi fully comp, unlimited miles, european cover, legal, etc and I'm 29, single, had an accident two years ago and live in the middle of town but the worst quote I had was £5800 - on a £1900 car!) but then you started moaning about the cost of fuel...

I do wish that people from North America would stop whining about the cost of "gas". $1.16 Canadian is £0.65 - We're paying at least £1.01 per litre - 50% more and I live in an oil town as well.

And for you folks in the US thats $6.21 for everyone of your small gallons!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts