RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys bought some redborune saxon wheels from a forum member to replace my stock 19" with cooper zeon tires. The coopers on these wheels are 275 45 20 and are pretty new now but are "cupping" around the edges but aren't too bad, but I'm going to replace them before fall/winter rolls around.

I was thinking about maybe putting some 265 50 20 terra grapplers on there to replace the zeons, is it worth doing so? I personally havent seen any 265 50 20 tires on rovers so i was wondering if that is an awkward size or am i better off sticking with the 275 45?

i really do like the wheels a lot, its a simple yet attractive design and the offsets seem to looks pretty flush compared with to the 19"s

Attachments

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
It's such a minimal change for those two sizes your not going to see a difference.

Your only going to gain 8mm more side wall and lose 1cm of tread width. Are they cheaper?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's such a minimal change for those two sizes your not going to see a difference.

Your only going to gain 8mm more side wall and lose 1cm of tread width. Are they cheaper?
There only about $150 less so it isn't that big of a difference, seems like the grapplers would have a more quiet ride

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
21 Posts
I had a set of Terra Grapplers on a heavy SUV (not a RRS) and was not happy with the tread life. The compound seemed too soft for the weight of the vehicle that was used 99% on pavement.

You mention several tire sizes, but stock 20's for an 07 RRS would be 275/40R20. I read that Range Rover Sport tires are about 1.3" smaller than Range Rover tires. The Terra's are almost 2" taller than a stock tire size for a Sport. Be safe and double check the size, load and speed ratings of the new tires to make sure they meet the specs for your Sport HSE.

This happened to me in reverse at America's Tire. They declined to order the tires I wanted because they stated they were the incorrect size. I got Continental involved who contacted AT and discovered their computer system was not distinguishing Range Rovers from Range Rover Sports (or else it was a data entry error). I have 275/40R20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and extremely happy with them on my 08 S/C.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a set of Terra Grapplers on a heavy SUV (not a RRS) and was not happy with the tread life. The compound seemed too soft for the weight of the vehicle that was used 99% on pavement.

You mention several tire sizes, but stock 20's for an 07 RRS would be 275/40R20. I read that Range Rover Sport tires are about 1.3" smaller than Range Rover tires. The Terra's are almost 2" taller than a stock tire size for a Sport. Be safe and double check the size, load and speed ratings of the new tires to make sure they meet the specs for your Sport HSE.

This happened to me in reverse at America's Tire. They declined to order the tires I wanted because they stated they were the incorrect size. I got Continental involved who contacted AT and discovered their computer system was not distinguishing Range Rovers from Range Rover Sports (or else it was a data entry error). I have 275/40R20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and extremely happy with them on my 08 S/C.
Thanks for the input! Only problem is that the stock 275/40 size doesnt come with much selection for any A/T tires thus why the upsizing. The coopers have fantastic tread life, how many miles were you able to get out of grapplers?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
21 Posts
Thanks for the input! Only problem is that the stock 275/40 size doesnt come with much selection for any A/T tires thus why the upsizing. The coopers have fantastic tread life, how many miles were you able to get out of grapplers?
I believe I got about 30-35,000 miles before I switched to Michelins.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
69 Posts
I'm a fan of the Terra Grapplers, been running them on my 2500HD GMC that weighs in at close to 8,000# with nothing negative to say about them at all. Granted they are a 305/55/20 Load Range "E" tire so we are not comparing apples to apples but I'm certain I'm getting in the 40 to 50k mile range out of them. On my 3rd set on this particular vehicle...

I went with the 285/50 Coopers for my wife's RRS recently mainly because I got a good deal on them and just wanted to try something other than the Terra Grapplers...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Ditto...I'm also a fan of the Terra Grapplers...in fact, I'm nearing the mid point of my 3rd set of 285/60/18's and I am getting between 40-45K out of each set. Granted, from about 35K onwards, they can get a bit noisier due to the wear, but still have plenty of tread left on them. Experience with friends who had Coopers was lower mileage, dry rot and heat cracks, and more punctures, both sidewall and thru the tread. Never had any of those issues with the NTG's.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
279 Posts
Check to make sure that the OE 20" rims are not too wide for the 265/50-20 Grapplers. When I was looking for 20" AT's, the Coopers seemed like the only option unless you wanted to go to 275/55-20, which I did not.

I have 20K on my Cooper Zeon's, with mix feelings. They wear like iron, have good dry traction on tarmac, but their wet grip on tarmac and hydroplane resistance is noticeably below Pirelli ATR and Yoko AT-S's. The Coopers have better traction in dirt, gravel/grass, and mud then any other AT I have owned, however. I do have some nice chunks out of the sidewalls, where this is not the case with the ATRs, AT-Ss, Revos, or Open Countries I have run; albeit, they had significantly more sidewall and narrower wheels.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know it's almost insignificant comparing AT's to UHP all-seasons (DWS), but besides Bako, anyone have anything else to say? Sorry for the thread jack!!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a fan of the Terra Grapplers, been running them on my 2500HD GMC that weighs in at close to 8,000# with nothing negative to say about them at all. Granted they are a 305/55/20 Load Range "E" tire so we are not comparing apples to apples but I'm certain I'm getting in the 40 to 50k mile range out of them. On my 3rd set on this particular vehicle...

I went with the 285/50 Coopers for my wife's RRS recently mainly because I got a good deal on them and just wanted to try something other than the Terra Grapplers...
Hey, how's the handling with those tires? Also any rubbing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, how's the handling with those tires? Also any rubbing?

Thanks!
I feel like the ride is a little softer, hitting a pot hole doesn't feel as harsh, absolutely no rubbing what so ever, it feels a little more "capable off roading vehicle" a little less "soccer mom mall parking lot navigator. "

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel like the ride is a little softer, hitting a pot hole doesn't feel as harsh, absolutely no rubbing what so ever, it feels a little more "capable off roading vehicle" a little less "soccer mom mall parking lot navigator. "
thanks for the feedback, where did you order your tires from?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got them from OE Wheels LLC as a package with a set of replica Stormers with new TPMS all mounted and balanced delivered to my door.

Delivery was quick but ended up needing a different lug nut than they were shipped with and that became a month long ordeal waiting to get the correct ones.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, so I'm going to go with 285/50/20. I've had 2 sets of coopers but was wondering if its worth out to get the terra grapplers? Are they quiter than the coopers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very similar noise wise, in my experience...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts