RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had mentioned this in another thread but after searching for winter tires that would work for Colorado mountain driving on the stock 21" ATB wheels (275/45/21) and not being super impressed with the selection, decided to move down to 20" wheels. Going through the dealer was a bit painful at $6,500 (w/ Perelli snow's) that didn't even include new TPMS sensors so I ended up going through Discount Tire with Redbourne Manor wheels. This created a lot of winter tire options, including the Nokian Hakka R2's (this is the first season DT has carried Nokian) and I had read so many good things about the tires, I wanted to give them a try (275/50/20). They were also less expensive than a couple of other options and just a bit more than Blizzak's that I have run in the past. At any rate, I think they look pretty good and in the light dusting we had last night, handle very well. I'll update once we get into the deep stuff later this year. Happy winter driving!

IMG_0107.jpg IMG_0109.jpg

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
476 Posts
Very nice! I'll be moving mine over when the RRS arrives.

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, I like it! I'm guessing a bunch of us would also like what is under the dark cover in the pic. Having lived just to the east of Minnetonka, I appreciate the long winter's under cover.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Under the black cover lies an Aston Vantage. The beige cover hides an Alfa Spider. Both resting for the very long winter. Lake Minnetonka is already frozen!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teek - nice garage, very nice!

Ibra - I haven't put the tires through their paces yet but did get them up to +95 and through some mild curves on the way to my son's hockey tournament today. No noticeable sidewall play on the Nokian's but definitely noticed increased noise on dry pavement (to be expected with all the sipes). Something else that is noticeable though is the sidewall bulge compared to the summer Michelins. I actually like it quite a bit and has an off-road type look that also looks like it will protect the wheels from any covered rocks or curbs (not that I have any experience with this ?).

Also, I couldn't find many reviews of the Redbourne's before I bought them but the couple I did were 3-4 years ago and one guy complained of wheel shimmy that wasn't apparently correctable with balancing. Mine are near perfect with no shimmy or wobble. Very happy with the decision so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
TechBanker, thanks for this post. I wanted the Nokian hakkapeliitta 8 SUV studded tires but was struggling to find a rim that works. The local tire shops said they could not help me since Nokian did not provide an oem size. But with your help here, focused on getting the Redbourne Saxon chrome wheels w/ The 275/50R20. Now, just need delivery of my '15 RRS...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Teek - nice garage, very nice!

Ibra - I haven't put the tires through their paces yet but did get them up to +95 and through some mild curves on the way to my son's hockey tournament today. No noticeable sidewall play on the Nokian's but definitely noticed increased noise on dry pavement (to be expected with all the sipes). Something else that is noticeable though is the sidewall bulge compared to the summer Michelins. I actually like it quite a bit and has an off-road type look that also looks like it will protect the wheels from any covered rocks or curbs (not that I have any experience with this ?).

Also, I couldn't find many reviews of the Redbourne's before I bought them but the couple I did were 3-4 years ago and one guy complained of wheel shimmy that wasn't apparently correctable with balancing. Mine are near perfect with no shimmy or wobble. Very happy with the decision so far.

I have been running my redbournes as winter wheels for 3 years now and have had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, interesting on the 265/45/21's. I had called the dealer and Discount Tire and that option never came as a possibility. Oh well, I really like the completely different look the gloss black Redbourne's give the truck for the winter and they weren't all that expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts