RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the recovery points on the RRS pretty sturdy or do we needs after market ones installed. The 2 places that I know of in the rear right above the tow hitch receiver, and the other in the front. Will a snatch break these off.

Any off road guru's can help here?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
They are very strong, they are actually part of the chassis (wasn't there a commercial in the early days of the LR3 showing the car being lifted and hanging vertically from a crane through the rear recovery point? :wink: ) I have been "snatched" a few times from both front and rear eyes and I was jammed pretty good, no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you get a couple of suitably strong shackles for them, as those could potentially be your weakest links - and the most dangerous ones - in a snatch situation.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you as always. This is good to know. I just have tow straps right now, which are for 5000lb vehicles with 12,000 webbing, what ever that means (think that means it can handle the snap of that much weight). Will search for heavier duty ones I assume.

Getting my off road gear ready, 1 piece at a time

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The 3/4" ARB bow shackles are perfect for that purpose, and inexpensive at $10/15. Buy at least a couple of them (one for you and one for your hypothetical recovery vehicle, in case he/she doesn't carry one...)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Don't buy the Chinese shackles, they are not quality D-shackles and will fail.

Viking offroad (Gray with Green Pin), ARB and Red Rat or something (will look this weekend at mine) or other are the best ones.

ARB snatch strap, plus the Kinetic strap are critical to have...(see Expedition Exchange site for examples of both).

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PJPR01.

Been looking at the Off road guide on rangerovers.net. The ARB ones that Umbertob mentioned are $15. The snatch strap is available too - any recommended weight I should go with. Too much weight is just over kill correct + more costly.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
I just have tow straps right now, which are for 5000lb vehicles with 12,000 webbing, what ever that means (think that means it can handle the snap of that much weight). Will search for heavier duty ones I assume.
If these are "tow" straps they are NOT to be used for recovery, they are for towing. Tow straps will also typically have metal attachments that are not meant to be used as a recovery item as they can break or slip and fly off. :shock: You want a "recovery" (snatch) strap with D or bow shackles.

You will want 3x or more of the weight of the vehicle on the strap. The ARB705 is ok (HSE = 5,500 and SC = 5,600 IIRC) though you may have to factor in trail gear. 3/4" ARB shackle is also ok. I have both these are they are great! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
ARB straps go like this:

Orange is a snatch strap. I will pay you $100 if you can break one snatching out a vehicle.

Purple is a winch extension strap, even if you dont have a winch keep one in your bag it will be handy

Green is a tree strap

Heres a good deal
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... ail&p=2155

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

So far in the shopping Cart
1x ARB 705 (17,500lb)
3x 3/4 ARB Shackle
1x winch extension strap
1x Dampers

Not sure if I need the snatch block or the tree protector, since it seems like items for a winch. Buying stuff in segments - focusing on recovery items now.

Will be getting rock slider may be next month once I'm more mobile after the leg surgery, possibly install my self if not too hard..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Timely post Frisco :)

What is the damper used for? I don't get it.

BTW, added strap and shackles to my list.

If you need help when you get your rock sliders, let me know.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
A "damper" on a snatch strap will absorb most of its recoiling energy should a shackle, recovery point or the strap itself fail/break while pulling a vehicle, potentially minimizing serious injuries or vehicle damage. In a pinch, a heavy blanket or a jacket thrown over the strap do pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Frisco, don't spend to much on all that recovery gear, the Toyota, Jeep, Nissan etc
owners will have lots of it, just waiting for you to pull them out of trouble! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Don't buy the Chinese shackles
Or Chinese nipple clamps.

Trust me. I ended up in the emergency room once.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Folks - found this store on the ARB site, and they are national. They seem to have nearly anything you need to go off-road. Also the items I needed were cheaper than online. Visited the store today, it was like a candy store for off road gear. They do mods as well.

4 Wheel Parts - http://www.4wheelparts.com. FOr you Dallas folks, the store in Coppell is one of the larger ones, as it is a distribution center.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Folks - found this store on the ARB site, and they are national. They seem to have nearly anything you need to go off-road. Also the items I needed were cheaper than online. Visited the store today, it was like a candy store for off road gear. They do mods as well.

4 Wheel Parts - http://www.4wheelparts.com. FOr you Dallas folks, the store in Coppell is one of the larger ones, as it is a distribution center.
Uh Oh... That is about 5 mins from my office.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts