RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 08 SC i noticed the rain sensor and auto head lights not working
i read through posts on a search that there is a common unit for both functions on the windshield under the rear view mirror, i checked and it is plugged in. also checked fuses and didn't see one that was common to both features

can someone guide me to a source to learn more about trouble shooting this items

thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you leave the wiper handle in the auto position the wipers won't work in auto after you stop the truck and restart. I have to cycle my handle off then back on every time I get back into the car. No idea on the auto headlights unless the switch is not in auto.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did notice if i cover the headlight sensor eye the headlights do come on with switch in auto
it does take some time so possibly i haven't ben patient enough testing the at night outside

haven't had rain to test wipers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tested in rain and no go
guess i have an aftermarket windshield, not made by same people as makes rover glass, so they may not have used the proper gel pack between the glass and sensor bracket.
anyone know a way to test sensor?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
If they fouled up the sensor install you may be out of luck. Another possibility is that they sliced the harness removing the original windscreen. Don't laugh, a couple of folks have had it happen. :???:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a good one about the possible sliced wire. do u know if that would be hard to track down?
the headlight function is working so u would say two of the wires must b good?

i did watch them change it and they do use a pretty mean looking knife tool to cut the out

as of now i am hunting a replacement gel pad as dealer and others have said most probable cause
i take it the index of refraction of the all is important to the function of the rain sensor

if the rover had more that two speeds and/or an intermittent setting i wouldn't worry about the rain sensor feature.
but it appears that is the only way to fine adjust the swipe speed. otherwise the slow setting is usually to fast where we live as mostly have light drizzle

noticed i have to turn on and off to make my own intermittent and that annoying

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Don't think there is an aftermarket windshield available for Range Rovers. Had mine replace 2 years ago and the glass shop used a land rover branded windshield, told me that was all that was available for the truck. List was over $900. The rain sensor came attached to the glass so they didn't have to fool with it, other than plugging it in and putting the cover over it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Pilkington makes replacement wind screens for all Land Rover products up through at least end of L322. They actually used to make the Land Rover branded glass for production installs. I am not sure if they still do or if JLR has changed suppliers under TaTa for the new models.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my glass person offered to install a pilkington to try to solve my issue
were trying to figure a txt to make sure that would fix with out having to pull the glass and try it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts