RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of whats going on with Toyota, do you think LR hides behind the TSB. Think this will change?

As stated in the article "The issue is not unique to Toyota. Safety advocates starting with Ralph Nader have argued that dealer service bulletins can become a way for automakers to conduct "silent recalls" or to keep problems from the public view even as they work to correct them."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62O3HL20100325

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
Interesting question...

I have a MY 2010 Sport built early in the model run. I have complained about front-end shimmy since the first week I owned the vehicle. I had it in for my 30K mile service last week. Eventhough I had new non-Michelin tires on my vehicle, I was still having the shimmy issue. So they followed LTB00401 and road forced my tires for me again, which I had done when I bought the tires. Evidently, they found a better balance cause there are different weights on the wheels now. The shimmy is marginally better but still there, like always. You can partially tame it but its always lurking!

Now let switch to LTB00400. It states that after doing LTB00401, new front-end components are needed to remedy the issue. umberto posted the LTB and awf axis had the work done. I never received a recall.

When I look at the VIN range for RRS's that could beneift from this LTB, my RRS falls right into the VIN range AA212147-BA262114 which calls for a new steering wheel, hydra bushings, and steering gear.

While I do not know if LTB00400 is a silent recall, what I do wonder is why this work was not done automatically or even suggested. Without this website, I'd be relying on my local dealer to aprise me of this option and do it...which they have not!

I will be pursuing this work today with LRNA. Thank you moderator umberto and members like awf axis!

Oh - and they have had to do the LTB for braking shake twice on my RRS. I'm on my third set of front rotors...the dealer never mentioned the LTB called for on this issue either....made it sound like more like my front brake problem is a complete mystery! Nice, transparent communication!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts
Recall (campaign) = an item that requires immediate attention and will be fixed at no charge to the customer, typically for the life of the vehicle (one time) regardless of ownership.

Service Bulletin (TSB) = it merely an "informational" piece used to aid technicians in diagnosing a particular fault, or to indicate updated service procedure or updated parts for a given concern. It in no way indicates any sort of liability or warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
288 Posts
The thing about any TSB is that it is a tool to resolve specific issues. I'm fortunate that my service advisor worked with me on the steering issue.

When LTB00400 came out, the steering issue was all but gone except for a rare combination of road and speed, but wanted the work done anyway. I provided my dealer with the PDF of the bulletin, and said I'd like it done when I had my 1st year service. He documented the "appropriate" complaint to allow for the repair, pre-ordered the parts and set me up an appointment.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
I'm fortunate that my service advisor worked with me on the steering issue.
That is what I am awaiting for now.....referred to the LTB, have an appointment but the work is not "approved yet" at the dealer.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I completely agree with the article captioned in the first post, Land Rover is just as guilty as other manufacturers when they hide behind obscure and not widely advertised or accessible TSBs to identify and correct defects that often could directly affect the safety of their vehicles and occupants, solely to save a buck and avoid issuing far more expensive recalls. The auto industry has gotten a free pass up to now with these TSBs, and that's borderline criminal as the Toyota issue above clearly illustrates. Land Rover may not have been caught yet because it's a small manufacturer by comparison, but it's on the same boat as Toyota.

There is a huge difference between a TSB issued about a driver seat not keeping its memory position and one where the car may suddenly lose power and stall at full throttle on a highway, and yet Land Rover just bunches them up together as generic "electrical issues" service bulletins for the eyes of industry insiders only, or on a fee-based web site that most consumers never even know exists, so 99% of owners only find out about them when they experience the issue first-hand and complain about it with a dealer.

TSBs should be issued for manufacturing defects that are in no way related to possible safety issues for driver or passengers, they should be freely accessible to all owners (one of the reasons why I post some of them here, even though I really shouldn't according to the fine print), and with very few exceptions they should be performed free of charge, regardless of factory warranty status. Why should I live with a non-functioning memory seat or a curled up airbag cover on my fresh out-of-warranty Sport - or pay hundreds to get it fixed - only because Land Rover found out months or years later that they installed a bunch of defective modules in a range of VINs, including mine?

As always, it will probably take a "Consumer Advocate" (aka a lawyer) to get the auto industry to change this disgraceful practice of hiding behind TSBs when they discover defects - some of them very serious - in their vehicles. The government won't do squat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts