RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back my 2003 l322 trans went into limp mode. I've been having problems with the Trans for a while, firstly with overheating which seemed to sort itself after I replaced the radiator, and then with surging at 80Kph (about 100rpm up and down) which I figured was the Torque Converter lockup. Then finally, it would go into limp mode when hot, running cold it was fine.

Time to get it sorted. I wasn't about to send it to the dealer here in Wellington, New Zealand, really wasn't confident to let them at it (let alone the cost !). A few years back my brothers Discovery went in after it stopped dead while four wheel driving around the south coast (my V8 Nissan Patrol had a hard time towing the dead vehicle through the soft sand!!). They couldn't find the problem .. kept stripping the vehicle, then said that because a genuine oil filter hadn't been used, the engine had failed and they would have to rebuild it. It cost $750 to get the car back in pieces and shipped it to Auckland to an independent. Problem turned out to be a failed coil.

To be fair, the dealership has changed hands several times since and I'm sure they must be better.

Anyhow, I have the workshop to pull the transmission myself and it didn't take too long. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple and well thought out it was for servicing (apart from the torque converter bolts!).

The torque converter went to Auckland and was back in a couple of days.

As for rebuilding the trans, I've had bad experiences some years ago with the local trans guys, and heard of lots of dissatisfied customers, but there was a local guy who I'd met before and who I hadn't heard bad things about. So I rang him early in the week. He said that he had work piled up for the rest of the week but would be free by the next Monday. I duly turned up and we lifted it onto the floor of his workshop, then for him to explain that he had several other transmissions that had been waiting for months to do, and he couldn't start till at least another week away. I responded by asking him to help me lift it back into my Discovery (yes .. seems to me you need to own at least two landrovers!) and drove away.

After talking to some transmission firms in Auckland, and figuring at a minimum it would cost $3500 plus GST plus freight, and then looking at the posts on this forum I decided to rebuild it myself (I've never rebuilt a transmission before). So BIG THANKS to RRPhil for his explanations on this forum.

While parts would have been much cheaper to purchase from the UK or USA, I've brought them all locally because they are available overnight.

Right now I've stripped the transmission and am rebuilding it. The problem was exactly as RRPhil had described here http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/30020-2002-4-4-v8-transmission-problems-failsafe-mode-4.html with the axial roller bearing failure and associated O-Ring between the A and B clutches.

I've decided while its apart to renew all the overhaul parts that came in the kit as well as the clutches and F-Piston. I'm leaving the valve body alone though ... if I need to I can do that later.

Shortly I'll be putting it all back together. Big thanks once again to RRPhil.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As soon as I rebuild my Engine that snapped a Con Rod and holed the block and upper oil sump, I will be pulling the Trans as well to do the Fix I have the cattle gridding going on so as I will have the Block off of the Transmission I will hit that as soon as I have it rebuilt. Goodluck with the rebuild, will be interested to hear the result.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts