RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any success rebuilding a water pump? Seems simple enough to press out and in a new bearing and seal set. At least that way I can insure I'm getting good quality bearings and seals.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

I opened up one of my old water pumps. The bearings inside are not standard size. I could not find them in the general bearing catalogs. The seal was a cheap type of seal and I machined some adapter and pressed it into the housing to be able to fit a standard seal. I assembled it back with the old bearing and new seal. It is waiting in my house. I have not used it so far. With the old bearing I will only use it in an emergency. I would be interested in a set of new bearings if you can find them.

I used a column drilling machine to press the shaft out of the impeler. It is a press fit with no keyway at both sides.

Regards

Jos

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

If I remember it correctly I did the following:

I supported the pump housing on the support and with a taper pin in the column drilling machine I pushed the shaft out from the impeller. The impeller rest on the pump housing and the shaft, bearing and coupling are pushed out of the housing in the direction of the coupling. The seal stays in the housing and comes out towards the inside.

I will see if I can find the specs of the seal that I fitted.

Regards

Jos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts