RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m driving home from when my transmission decides to leave the party. Get towed to Austin Rover Works because I don’t have time to myself anymore let alone do a semi major job on my truck nor do I have a place to work on it.
I’m now advised that the lifter or rocker arm tapping I hear is actually a sleeve. This may very well turn into a $10k plus job easily.
This is an 02 Westminster.
The options I have are an Ashcroft transmission and an engine from either AB or Turner. Or I could get D&D to refurbish the block as I was told to keep the engine with matching numbers.
I could do an LS conversation.
Then the last option is to pull the sheet over its headlights and move on.
Just looking for others opinions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
What diagnostic work has been done on the engine to come up with the thought of the noise being a slipped liner/sleeve??

Has a coolant sniff test been done to see if there are combustion gases in the coolant?
Has there been a drop in coolant level?
Has it overheated?
Does the engine run well other than the noise?

IMO unless there are other signs of engine issues, or it's been cooked properly before, then the chances of it being a slipped liner/sleeve aren't as high as some would make it out to be. Especially if no serious diagnostic work has been done to actually determine that it's the cause of the noise...

Transmission wise - Ashcroft is probably the best for replacement.. i'm looking at doing mine this year as preventative maintenance, as it feels like it's starting to give the occasional judder, and it whines more than it I think it should...

Engine wise... I'd actually confirm that it is a liner problem before condemning it. But unfortunately it's not possible to inspect without taking the heads off, so maybe a top end refresh, and then see what the situation is like when the heads are off?

Would be a shame to let it go - Westminsters are one of the rarer ones out there these days!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I’m with Marty, heads need to come off before any diagnostic of a slipped liner can be confirmed, the one and only slipped liner I had, was easy to diagnose as the oil also had 5-6 Ltrs of water mixed with it, it still ran even though the water/oil mix was all the way upto the plenum chamber.
Im wondering why when it went in with gearbox issues are they diagnosing a engine tap, 90% of these engines have a tapping of some sort..even rebuilt ones.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer two of your questions Marty, it did overheat last month. It blew that t fitting in the upper radiator hose.
I have been plagued with coolant lost but assumed it was the heater core o-ring.
Since I have a leaking head gasket, we will just start with the heads and go from there.
I think I was starting to wonder (by coworker and friend suggestions) if it was worth it to put that much money on it. I guess it is.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Many mechanics through these types of diagnostics when they don't want to deal with it. The valve gear noise is certainly more common than slipped liners. Did it make the tapping prior to the overheat or immediately after? If you can fix the engine, a used trans probably isn't that much.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He offered up a used transmission that he bought for his own Rhino. But figured I needed it more. I opted for a fresh one versus one with unknown history.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too bad you can't work on it yourself, these gearboxes are reasonably easy to fix yourself, if you have a manual, clutch set is about $500
Same for the engine, liners bought and put in costed me 1200AUD. exl.gaskets and stuff.

I've got a manual for the gearbox (4hp22zf), and almost all parts for the gearbox, incl. valve body, if needed.

Not sure what you have, 4.0 or 4.6 (different gearboxes)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts