Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 County LWB and the OEM rearview mirror is cloudy beyond use. Given the AutoDimming feature of this mirror, can the glass be replaced or do I have to buy an entire unit? I'm not sure if the glass is "special" or if the electronics behind the glass are what make this feature operable. If the glass can be replaced, where can I find it to purchase? Thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is sad indeed. What is the normal replacement options? Can I find a new one at this point or am I relegated to having to find a "used" one that still has good visibility? Thanks for the response....

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
One of mine had the same issue and I didn't want to spring for a new entire unit at the time. I traced the outline of the mirror shape on a piece of card stock paper and took it to a glass and mirror shop, they cut a piece of standard mirror about 1/4" thick from my templet and I used two way emblem tape to adhere the piece to the existing mirror. It is not nearly as good as the proper autodimming unit, but an option to consider.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
282 Posts
Finding one for a Classic will be a challenge - there's one on ebay UK at £70 second hand!
Do some research on the old interweb and I think with a bit of lateral thinking you may drop on what you want - for example, from a cursory quick glance, a Nissan Altima (07-08) in USA spec had an auto dim, compass and Homelink system all in the mirror head, Mercedes fitted them in the SL range, and of course there is the MG Rover car models.

Also, stick "auto dimming mirror" in ebay and you'll capture what's available for multiple car models - you might something that will retro fit

Someone far cleverer than I could advise on electrics, and also advise on whether a unit from a '38 would be do-able...?

good luck

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
52 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.