RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My rear wiper and wash water has stopped working. I've taken it off and tested and it will rotate with 12v across it on the workbench.

I am wondering what i can do next to check out the system, I've pulled the fuses and they are fine. I've done the usuall reset of leaving the fuses out for the night then putting them back.

It failed in a funny way, worked one day, then would only work with the ignition on, not when it was running. Then will not work at all.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can't help you with a solution, but I'll be watching any answers as mine failed in exactly the same way about 6 months ago after a while of intermittent wiping or sometimes stopping halfway across the screen!
Still haven't got round to sort it out yet, but like yours it will work if you 'hotwire' the motor itself. When I evenually begin to think about fixing it, I'll probably start with the cheap parts first like the stalk etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello ive had this with my car.Take your cover off the gearbox for wiper. You will find it full of rust. The washer jet feeds through the middle of drive shaft and the seals let water into the gearbox. Clean all parts and free off with oil then repack with grease. I think the car electrics only allow a low amp supply which is why it won't power a partially seized unit but it will work on the bench. Finally to cure the problem re pipe the washer through a hole in tailgate and make a jet from piece of brake pipe pointing at glass. Or if you've got deep pockets buy a new one! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ogy,

I've just had it apart and it looks fine inside, no sign of any rust. All nicely lubed up and greased at all the moving parts.

So i don't think that is the problem.

Adam

·
Registered
144 Posts
Likewise with mine, no rust or any nasties going on in the gearbox. There's just no 'switch on' signal getting to the motor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh well worth a try! Have a look at the wiring where it bends every time the tailgate is opened and closed. You may find a broken wire.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I just removed my rear wiper motor (part # DKD 000030, $333.75 US) to find why it gets stuck mid-travel. I removed the cover and found it did have rusty-colored grease in the gear drive. It is an easy motor to remove, easy to open the motor for repair, IF it were repairable, but 's not (no lower-level parts available that I could find). The only reason mine is stopping mid-travel is that the very special application nylon/plastic gear wheel that's driven by the metal motor worm gear drive is stripped at that point. If I bump it a few teeth, it re-engages & completes the cycle. Otherwise, the motor gear keeps moving and the plastic gear doesn't.
As stated above, the replacement from Fields LR in Orlando, Fl is $333.75, which seems rediculous for a nylon/plastice gear that wore out. The rest of the motor works fine. And the rest of the drive is pretty much metal. I imagine the reason the gear is plastic is the standard "to avoid damaging a more expensive part", which would make no sense since the motor is only sold as a whole unit.
If it weren't such an application-specific gear, I'm sure a suitable replacement could be found. But as it stands, I'll search for a cheaper alternative to Fields LR/BMW prices. For this particular failure/replacement, it's a matter of principle.

If anyone has any alternative repair suggestions, I'll appreciate them. But I'll be very surprised if anyone (except maybe RRPhil, who never ceases to surprise with knowledge) knows of any solutions. :think:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So finally fixed the problem.

Got another motor from the UK shipped to my parents and then shipped over. Installed it and still no movement.

I got the wiring diagram off RAVE, traced all the wires and found some that were nicked under the dash. Spliced them and away it goes.

Anyway, problem solved and the upshot is i now have a spare wiper motor on this side of the pond. If anybody is interested it will be on ebay soon, PM me and i'll send you the link.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So finally fixed the problem.

Got another motor from the UK shipped to my parents and then shipped over. Installed it and still no movement.

I got the wiring diagram off RAVE, traced all the wires and found some that were nicked under the dash. Spliced them and away it goes.

Anyway, problem solved and the upshot is i now have a spare wiper motor on this side of the pond. If anybody is interested it will be on ebay soon, PM me and i'll send you the link.

Nicked under the dash? Really? Curious how you thought that might have happened. My motor just quit after a car wash. Wasn't run during it, just after. Frustrating. All fuses good that I can tell.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Our rear wiper just failed and wiper blade is hanging straight down. Does not seem to be connected to anything. Will try to open and see whats up. Any tips in the meantime would be appreciated. We had freezing temps so not sure if it froze shut and broke off when activated.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Our rear wiper just failed and wiper blade is hanging straight down. Does not seem to be connected to anything. Will try to open and see whats up. Any tips in the meantime would be appreciated. We had freezing temps so not sure if it froze shut and broke off when activated.
More likely the blade froze to the glass and if the shaft nut was loose the arm broke free and the shaft is jus spinning. If caught soon enough it can be fixed. If not the splines will strip out.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Many thanks. I bit the bullet and opened it to find that the nut had actually come off completely and the splines were definitely worn but tightening the 13mm nut secures it ok. The spring part had seized and the only reason i got the arm off was because the nut had actually fallen off. Fortunately I was able to remove the inner plastic motor cover trim piece-just pry straight out basically- it had never been installed properly and a clip was missing-loosen 3 10 mm bolts -pull the exterior cover to the rear and lift up and it pops off and allows access to the plastic cap that covers the nut that holds the wiper arm. Everything was seized so took several shots of penetrating oil to be able to remove plastic cap. It pivots out but of course it broke a tab off. There is a very fine nozzle in there which may have actually broken off as the fluid comes thru the centre of the rotating shaft and I did not lose it, at least not yet. Not sure if that plastic cover can be purchased separately. I do recommend that anyone in a salty environment check that the pivot portion is not seized as it will surely lead to failure when you want it most. Hope this provides info for someone contemplating a similar repair

1 - 15 of 15 Posts