RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked-up my car on Friday and have been driving in rainy weather all weekend. I noticed that the rear window and parking camera were pretty useless (almost opaque) because they were covered with tiny water droplets. I guess this is due to the areodynamics of the design.

To improve the situation, I tried applying some rain-repellent to the rear window and camera lens. This simple step completely corrected the problem. The same areodynamic forces that were previously depositing tiny drops all over the window were now stripping the window completely clear. The camera was clear too.

I highly recommend trying this simple fix.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Good tip. My car sat inside the garage for one of the two days this weekend because of rain. I know it's an suv, but I wanted to keep it clean for at least 1 day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll have to try that. The rear window does seem to attach dirt. I've got one simple tip to add. Try raising the rear headrests as far up as they'll go. That opens a small extra view out the rear window between the seat and the headrests. If they're left in a normal position they obscure a big chunk of real estate.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed this morning (cold engine, cold weather) that the condensation/fog exiting the tailpipes is lifted-up into a tight cloud behind the rear window when I accelerate. It was dense enough that I briefly could not see through the fog. This is consistent with the aerosol of water/dirt that deposits on the rear window.

I'm finding the aerodynamics of the rear end very interesting. The airflow seems to form a vortex and area of low pressure right behind the rear window.

I found the following wind-tunnel study for the RSS, but it doesn't show much of the rear.

This photo wasn't photo-shopped by LR and shows the rear window and camera covered in snow (except where the rear defroster is located).
2014-land-rover-range-rover-sport-27.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any suggestion on what kind of rain-repellent to use? I want to use Aquapel on the cameras but am scared that will cause damage (product meant for glass used on a plastic cover).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Any suggestion on what kind of rain-repellent to use? I want to use Aquapel on the cameras but am scared that will cause damage (product meant for glass used on a plastic cover).
RainX is what I use. Camera hasn't dissolved yet. `)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts