RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear wheel on my p38 seems to snatch and jolt when i pull off, I have just had the front axle changed as it was damaged but now the car still doesnt seem to drive right and ive had the tracking done to and still the same so wondering if its anything to do with the back end, any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like seized centre viscous coupling.

What was wrong with the front axle?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was bent so as it had hit curb so was changed, would this also make the car sway sometimes?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hard to say, depends on how much damage was suffered by related components. One thing you may want to check are your sway bar end links, they are not all that beefy.

Another thought, how are the u-joints on your driveshafts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hale said:
It was bent so as it had hit curb so was changed, would this also make the car sway sometimes?
How did you hit a curb so hard that you bent an axle? And what else did you bend? :shock:

Another thing, was it a new front axle or a scrapyard one. I'm not 100% how interchangeable 4.0/2.5's(which are the same) and 4.6's are. The 4.6 has a stronger front diff but I don't know if the ratios are the same.

·
Registered
517 Posts
SpudH said:
Another thing, was it a new front axle or a scrapyard one. I'm not 100% how interchangeable 4.0/2.5's(which are the same) and 4.6's are. The 4.6 has a stronger front diff but I don't know if the ratios are the same.
The 2 pin and 4 pin diffs are all interchangeable and have the same ratios so that shouldn't be a problem.

Was it the actual axle case you bent? If so that must have taken a fair amount of force and I would suspect damage to the wheel, radius arms, steering linkages etc.

To test the viscous coupling drive around in a tight circle and listen for the wheels scratching/scrabbling.

Was the rear axle hit at the same time as the front?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right jacked up wheel and put in neutral and front wheelis moving about an inch then locks, so presume vc has seized, I can get hold of a cheap transfer box but need to check if it will fit, are they all the same including discoverys?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now purchased another transfer box to fit but can anyone tell me hoe to check the viscous unit in this before i fit it? Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
If the rest of the transfer box in currently fitted is ok -why not just swap the VC. A much easier job - I know I've done both /:(

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hale said:
Can anyone tell me what iol to put in transfer box and how much of it?Thanks
A very quick search using the SEARCH function - (top left of page) will easily get you the info you want, but until you master that art here is a post with all the info you need.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39282&p=305228&hilit=transfer+oil#p305228

Also if you are planning working on the car more download RAVE - most answers are in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts