RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, and gals:

I have recently upgraded my tires to larger BF Goodrich tires and have been quite happy with them.

My only disappointment has been that there is not space in the rear wheel compartment to carry the new larger wheel and tire. I searched on RangeRover.net and several other forums and on google and either found very old posts from the last century or posts about completely removing the bumper at great expense and then mounting a swivel on the new bumper.

I have issues with doing this because if the P38 is severely damaged, I would want to transfer the equipment easily to another vehicle, like my L322 or another P38. After a lot of frustration, I started to look at what other vehicle owners do in the same situation and found a universal generic rear mount wheel carrier that fits in the hitch and still allows one to use the trailer hitch to tow a trailer or small boat. After ordering, and having my current hitch remounted by a hitch welding company I am ecstatic that I now have a rear mounted wheel carrier and do not have to resort to carrying the spare tire on the roof of the vehicle.

This is made by Wilco Offroad and their webite is www.wilcooffroad.com this is the (New) Off Center Wheel Carrier and they have accessories for fuel and jack mounting too. I have arranged for a discount code if anyone else want to order one, I am not affiliated with this company at all. If anyone would like to have the 10% off discount code you can private message me. I have an LED lighted number plate to still install and I added from Amazon the center wheel LED 3rd brake light.

Let me know what you think of this solution in the comments below!!!

Below are some photos of my supercharged 1997 Range Rover P38 4.6 SSE.

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg
The Hitchgate swivels out to a full 180 degrees with a self-stopping mechanism.

IMG_1595.jpg
The lower tailgate opens and has ample clearance above the hitch mount bar.

IMG_1596.jpg
There is clearance for Jerry can & HiJack mounts between the wheel and tailgate.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
The fact that the base bar that runs across isn't level with the bumper would cause havoc with my OCD as well as it looking like it's falling off!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think the $960 cost + delivery + uk customs clearance/import tax cost puts it outside my current wish list - need to get back to rebuilding her front end after my dancing on ice session - pretty sure i have all bits, save for a rad, ordered/paid for or already delivered with the intent to complete by next weekend

·
Super Moderator
2,071 Posts
Still looks like the right side is lower than the left so it isn't parallel with the bumper to me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wonderful. It is nice to see another option out there. Thanks for the leg work it looks great.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
great,is no plate legal like that,just asking,i am from uk

As the OP says:
I have an LED lighted number plate to still install and I added from Amazon the center wheel LED 3rd brake light.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The solo was back ordered by 4 weeks and would have worked just fine. This version gives greater towing capability so I wanted to keep my options open, and money was not an object in this order.

·
Super Moderator
2,071 Posts
Hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. The fact that you can actually SEE a garage floor suggests something isn't normal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For anyone else interested I came close to pulling the trigger on this but in it's current incarnation it won't fit the P38 hitch as it too recessed. I believe the OP had his hitch re-welded a bit farther out which is the only way it would work. I don't think a hitch extender would work given how it locks behind the hitch receiver. Wilco said they may come out with an extended version in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts