RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've had a search on the forums but couldn't find anything specifically relating to my issue.

Recently my rear wiper packed up, it just wouldn't move unless you coaxed it by hand. I took the motor off the car and opened it up and it had filled with water and was very rusty. I cleaned it all out and greased all the gears. I thought I'd done a good job of reassembling. When refitted to the car the wiper worked a dream but when using the washer the fluid poured onto the parcel shelf! I just guess all the seals were shot.

So I bought a new motor, wiper arm with jet and wiper. Everything worked except the washer fluid still poured out of the spray cap down the screen rather than from the jet. I took it to an independant LR garage and they said I needed a new non return valve and that it should spray out with the sweep of the wiper rather than pour straight down the rear window. They fitted this for me and although there is a now a small amout of spray from the nozzle most of the fluid just pours down the screen. I said that nothing had really been fixed and then the owner showed me that his later model RR does the same.

Does anyone else have this? Do you just live with it or is there a clever fix to get it actually spraying? It bugs me when something should work one way but doesn't.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Mine sprays just fine who would accept an 80,000 dollar vehicle with a windshield washer that just drips down the glass. I think there is an o-ring seal on the outer end of the shaft that comes thru the door (or in the wiper arm itself), sounds like maybe the wiper arm isn't all the way on to the shaft allowing that o-ring to leak. See if you can straighten the arm out (theres a spring that holds it tight against the glass that makes the part with the nut on it go on at an angle) and gently push the arm onto the shaft a bit. If it moves at all tighten the nut up. I'm assuming since it sprays some fluid the tip on the wiper arm isn't plugged up with gunk.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Mine sprays just fine who would accept an 80,000 dollar vehicle with a windshield washer that just drips down the glass. I think there is an o-ring seal on the outer end of the shaft that comes thru the door (or in the wiper arm itself), sounds like maybe the wiper arm isn't all the way on to the shaft allowing that o-ring to leak. See if you can straighten the arm out (theres a spring that holds it tight against the glass that makes the part with the nut on it go on at an angle) and gently push the arm onto the shaft a bit. If it moves at all tighten the nut up. I'm assuming since it sprays some fluid the tip on the wiper arm isn't plugged up with gunk.
There are o-rings in there... it's been a while since I rebuilt mine but if you pull it apart have an assortment of o-rings on hand and just replace them. They're not special.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I've fitted everything that came with all the new parts, i didn't have any loose o-rings so I'll try and tighten the arm on to the shaft some more. Shame you have to remove the inside trim and the upper outer trim just to do this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts