RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in the 98 4.6HSE couple of weeks ago, and oddly I noticed that the mirror itself seemed "fuzzy"...
First I thought there was hairspray on the glass, but rubbing it made no difference, so I assumed that the mirroring was starting to fail a little...
But yesterday I see a black hole about 1/2" up from the bottom of the mirror, like the silver has been burned off from the inside... but the glass is intact.. its dead center and about the size of your index finger tip. The edges of the "hole" look melted.
The Range is sitting idle now due to an engine overheating issue, and I noticed that the battery keeps going flat, so I have had to charge it twice in the last week... only a 2amp trickle.
On my jeep the mirror has a light sensor in the mirror.... but this does not look like that..
Am I losing my mind?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
If you have the self dipping mirror, you have a small 4mm spot in the middle top. There have been lots of posts on this site regarding these mirrors failing, some leaking the fluid out thats inside.
Some people have managed to get them changed by the company in the USA that manufactures them.
Search is your best friend :thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey there,
As cornishman said search the thread, but I got mine replaced for free plus free shipping too 2 yrs ago, I guess the company that makes them is called( Magna donnelly), if my memory isnt failing me, do a little search here, and you will get the right info. good luck!
ZEE

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think we need to back up a bit and try to figure out how hairspray could possibly get on the rear view.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
bjohnston115 said:
I think we need to back up a bit and try to figure out how hairspray could possibly get on the rear view.
Agreed. Applying laquer while driving is a good way to dent your do! :?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, lets get to the bottom of this!
Here is a pic I took of the mirror yesterday....

Is this the mirror failure that was mentioned?
It looks melted to me... not only is there an obvious "Hole" in the mirroring, but its failing on the bottom edge too.
There is another "hole" appearing just above the Left LED or sensor on the bottom edge.
A fair amount of the surface is odd looking.. Its difficult to photograph, so I hope you guys can see what I am talking about!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
See perfectly mate.......and so does the search function! :thumb:
As already said, it has been talked about plenty before, so have a looksie.
Mine was also replaced for free by magna, but have since heard they stopped doing it.
Do a search and get their email addy and send them a nice message asking if they can help you.
If not, then ask Scotty on here if he has any good used ones around, I'm sure he does.

Martin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well, FYI I did do a search, but the threads I found talked about Liquid dripping out and the like... it did not sound or indeed look anything like what I am seeing..
Also the search function SUCKS... You do a search, it lists the items, and when you read the thread, and it is not what you want and try to go back to the list you get a page not found error...
Or is it only me?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Here ye go mate, I searched and it actually brought up one of my answers with a link to this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14596&hilit=mirror+removal

The search is basic at times, but with enough word swapping you can normally find stuff out. Google is better, but put "rangerovers.net" in the box to search a specific web site.
Looks like they have stopped the free replacement now, so shoot Scotty a PM and he will no doubt hook you up. That or just put a generic one on there and do without the auto dim feature... :thumb:

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts