Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out early 2012 with the idea of a tyre carrier that did not require removal of the standard P38 bumper and for the sake of trying something different went with a gull-wing style.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Using a 120lb gas strut to assist, the assembly worked well and for 2012 I ran with this design. Two real issues made a change necessary: 1. Wife could not pull down the tyre against the strut 2. With a tyre mounted trash bag, the contents ended up on the floor

After pondering projects for the winter I went to my local Tractor Supply Co. a few weeks back and picked up a spindle, bearings and sleeve. Using all the existing tube work fabricated last year converted it to a swing out.

Tire Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

I have to make a few finishing touches, namely safety latch to stop it closing unexpectedly and a finish coat of paint. I will fab a pair of Scepter Military gas can mounts to go on the inside of the tyre, break out a bucket of soapy water and call this one done.

·
Registered
719 Posts
beautiful work! this is exactly what ive been looking for... where exactly is everything mounted to the car? through the bumper?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Looks like something I built for commanders about 4 years ago. Mine plugged into the hitch and had a few support bars attached to the frame. it was nice because i could remove it when i wasn't out 4 wheeling.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
beautiful work! this is exactly what ive been looking for... where exactly is everything mounted to the car? through the bumper?
You are correct, just like getlost4x4's Commanders style it has a support frame that runs back underneath and ties into the chassis. It also has three connections through the bumper and back into the chassis to keep things firm. It can be removed however, it is not as elegant as getlost4x4's and not as easy to remove so I keep it on. Its made from 1/4" wall 2x2 tube which was scrap pulled from the steel bin at work and parts from TSC which made for a low cost project.

I do need to change the BFG spare tyre to match the Coppers on the rig and late March will be the first true off-road test of the swing out with the NCLR Death Valley run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.