RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tailgate button looks like crap. Any recommendations on bringing it back to life and what to use? Already tried WD40 and a few others with no luck.

What does a new button cost?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up, so I didn't have to. My attempt, unless trumped, will be to remove the button, sand and prime, then apply acrylic enamel with an air brush, being carefull not to "pack" the button shut with paint. Most of your paint shops will mix samples of paint and you can get a black AE, thin it down, and lightly dust the button. If the proper primer is selected, that stuff will never come off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wetoddid said:
I'm glad you brought this up, so I didn't have to. My attempt, unless trumped, will be to remove the button, sand and prime, then apply acrylic enamel with an air brush, being carefull not to "pack" the button shut with paint. Most of your paint shops will mix samples of paint and you can get a black AE, thin it down, and lightly dust the button. If the proper primer is selected, that stuff will never come off.
That sounds like a great idea! Please post a how-to if successful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
try a product called "black again." works great.
I will try this first. Also, Forever Black, Bumper and Trim Dye Kit, sounds appealing.

I cant help but think that buying one of the "chrome buttons" and slapping a little metal etching on it, and color matching it to the truck would be a good approach, using the dye, of course, to correct the fading of the flexible portion of the button.

Or buy a new button... :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts