Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on the exhaust today I noticed there wasnt much room from the bump stop to the axle so I decided to get the ramps out and put one under the right rear tire and one under the front left tire to see how it would flex. After doing so I noticed the right rear bump stop is being stopped sorda by the sway bar. The sway bar actually comes between the bump stop and the plate on the axle and I don't know if that's normal or something is bent out of place. I now know I need new springs and would like more than just a mere 2 inch lift. With my 90 rrc on the ramps I really like the height it is sitting at but I know there isn't an 8 inch lift that I've been able to find. Any ideas on the while situation?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just glanced under my 95. Don't see any way the sway bar could get between the axle and the bump stop. Here is a picture of the right rear bump stop area of mine. If you get a chance post up a pic of yours.
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simon your 95 is different from my 90 model, yours looks just like my wifes 96 disco suspension. I believe mine is mostly the same except for my sway bar, it mounts over the top of the axle. If I could figure out how to upload a photo from my mobile phone I would but every time I try it pulls the wrong photo so I gave up trying for a while. Also my sway bar attaches by a looped steel rod that goes over the top and hooks to the front side of the axle. That's why I was aking since the way its hooked up seemed completely odd.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Simon your 95 is different from my 90 model, yours looks just like my wifes 96 disco suspension. I believe mine is mostly the same except for my sway bar, it mounts over the top of the axle. If I could figure out how to upload a photo from my mobile phone I would but every time I try it pulls the wrong photo so I gave up trying for a while. Also my sway bar attaches by a looped steel rod that goes over the top and hooks to the front side of the axle. That's why I was aking since the way its hooked up seemed completely odd.
I would say that you either have an aftermarket strange type of sway bar or someone has mounted it wrong. See if you can remove it and remount it with it going under the diff housing.

Sway bars were not fitted on Rangies from the factory until 1991.

This is what the rear suspension should look like on a 91

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine doesn't gave the dog bone type end links the pictures show, they are more like a heavy round steel rod with a bent loop on both ends. The mounting types the diagram shows with the bolts on the back of the axle are not on mine instead the mounting points are in the front and the only way to attach is over the top. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what engineering genius designed it that way. I have a 96 disco for reference and it looks like the diagram so maybe I break out the mig welder and put the bolts where I need them. I may even try to find a cheap disco like mine for parts to update the suspension on my rangie since the disco has a much softer ride.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Mine doesn't gave the dog bone type end links the pictures show, they are more like a heavy round steel rod with a bent loop on both ends. The mounting types the diagram shows with the bolts on the back of the axle are not on mine instead the mounting points are in the front and the only way to attach is over the top. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what engineering genius designed it that way.
Obviously one of the previous owners fitted a sway bar that was not designed or off a landrover. It sounds like you are better throwing it and either don't have one or get one that is designed to fit. Finding and wielding the proper brackets onto the diff and chassis may be a bit of a pain, so you may be better off buying an aftermarket one designed for the pre 91 Rangies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts