RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 93 has a bit of a lean to one side as a result of my steel spare tire bumper. I have recently replaced my shocks with bilstein's but that did not fix the problem. I am wonder what spring I should use in the rear. I don't really want a lift, but want the truck to sit level. I also dont want to screw with the ride too much as I love how it feels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I can feel it leaning to the right. Its about 1 degree to the right on a level

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shocks don't provide any static support, they only serve to dampen movement. You could try a set of terrafirma heavy duty springs (not too expensive) or you could add airlift bags inside the stock coils, which I did. Each bag can be pressurized individually to compensate for load, so you cold put 5psi (the minimum) in one, and 10 in the other, which will serve to level the truck out. It's also nice if you're ever carrying gear. When loaded with camping gear I would bottom out on stock springs when going offroad, but with the airlift bags I just add an additional 10psi when it's loaded and it's like having the heavy duty springs, but without the bone-jarring ride when it's empty.

This is the airlift kit that fits the stock RRC rear springs.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Shocks don't provide any static support, they only serve to dampen movement. You could try a set of terrafirma heavy duty springs (not too expensive) or you could add airlift bags inside the stock coils, which I did. Each bag can be pressurized individually to compensate for load, so you cold put 5psi (the minimum) in one, and 10 in the other, which will serve to level the truck out. It's also nice if you're ever carrying gear. When loaded with camping gear I would bottom out on stock springs when going offroad, but with the airlift bags I just add an additional 10psi when it's loaded and it's like having the heavy duty springs, but without the bone-jarring ride when it's empty.

This is the airlift kit that fits the stock RRC rear springs.
Very interesting...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm air bags that is a thought. I heard the tera firma springs are too stick. How is the ride with the air bags? Also do you have to manually pump up the airbags?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
128 Posts
I run those air bags in my 95LWB. they work well and were easy to install. When loaded with heavy items, like a load of tools, they very noticeably reduce sway/roll especially at highway speeds. with no load you could go autocrossing,,,that's when you air them down and recover your original ride. I put the air fillers under the gas flap. If you do it, get an air gauge that reads in low pounds; or can easily blow off the fill line.

geneo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great. I may try them out. I really just need to raise the right side like half an inch to be level.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As already mentioned above, the shocks don't support load but the springs do.

Basics are, if geometry is the fault then you'd need to pack existing spring to make it even rather than increase the spring rating, which is NOT the case here.

Genuine load increase (which is what you've got) would need an increase in spring rating to support that increase at the same level. Hence, the air springs do that job effectively by adding poundage to the particular location to resist more weight acting upon it. Ideally you'd disconnect one end of each shock, then adjust the air spring to get even all round ride height. Then record their settings to give you baseline data, this should always be with driver in situ.

Bur there's an additional complication in effect on these vehicles. When orientated in right hand drive, they are more evenly loaded with driver + battery+steering assembly on one side, opposed by the original placed spare wheel diagonally opposite. When switching to left hand drive there's much more compensation in the original fit springs to resist the whole vehicle being loaded on its left side with driver in place.
As you've moved the spare wheel to opposite location (looks like it from your id picture) plus cantilevered it more rearward from the axle spring, you've now essentially got the opposite of original for the rear axle.

Try swapping the rear springs complete with any packers from one side to the other (it's likely they're different rates and identification colours may confirm) and then see how it sits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the air lift suspension this weekend and it made a huge difference. No more sagging to one side. Filled it up to 20 lbs and ride is not too stiff. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts