RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear shocks. As far as I can tell I have the option of a OEM unit from somewhere like Rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-STC3704 (or a copy which is much cheaper)
or a Bilstein B6 unit. Anyone any thoughts? One seem all oil the other partly gas.
Looks like changing them is ok as long as you support the axle so you don't pop the air bag off.
Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
personally I use bilstein, the ride is a bit firm such that of a sports car with little body roll but not as solid as coil springs. the factory damping gives a soft ride with prominent body roll. I guess is a matter of preference.
replacement, removal can be a bit difficult because of rusty seized threads and the shock spinning while the nut turns, vise grips or large adjustable pliers can help. install, requires a little of muscle to compress the new shock as it is stiff and often you find your self in a less than ideal position.
I like to support the frame with a jack stand and use a jack under axle, remove the wheel and use the jack to adjust axle up and down as needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the genuine shocks, but some people swear by them. The bilstein’s firm up the ride quite significantly.

I went for Old Man Emu nitrochargers on my RRC as I’ve found these to be very good previously on my Defenders.

Monroe gas shocks seem to have a good reputation when I looked at shocks for the D2 in the summer, but as they didn’t have stock I went for the more expensive Bilsteins.

cheers

Steve

·
Registered
369 Posts
I prefer the original spec shocks with EAS. No, it is not sport/performance but it does exceptionally well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts