RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
h
I,Im new to this site,I have a problem with the rear seat of my p38, the rear seats fold down after you push a button behind
them, thn they should lift off the bar underneath and fold flat against the front seats....my problem is that the larger of the 2 seats goes flat but then I cannot release it off the bar to fold it over....my husband gets a screwdriver and puts it somewhere to releaseit but ive no idea howhe does it and I need to loadthe car to go away this evening....is there anyone out therethat knows how I can slve this

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
There's a hook on the bottom of the seat back that engages on a loop on the floor. As you lay the backrest flat it should disengage so you can tilt the whole seat but t sounds like it is out of adjustment so is still catching. Pushing the backrest down may be enough to cause it to disengage if you are lucky, otherwise, drop the narrower seat so you can see the hook. It'll be fairly obvious where it needs poking with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hope you've solved your problem by now but if you are still stuck here, I think, is the solution. No screwdriver needed.

The seat is held down on the bar by a sheet metal hook attached to the backrest. When the backrest is moved towards the upright position the hook comes round the bar holding things down. There is also a spring loaded tongue which moves across the hook opening and helps to stop rattles. When you flip the seat base down the sprung tonge pushes up and out of the way so the hook can grip the bar. If the narrow seat can be flipped properly take a look at that whilst moving the seat back to see whats going on. If the hook is bent or damaged by someone forcing things or levering with a screwdriver it may not completely clear the bar when the back is simply flopped forwards. On mine lifting the seat back about an inch above thfront of seat cushion from its natural flop is enough to start the hook engaging. Very little more lift is needed to prevent the second fold.

Cure is to push down the seat back a little more squidging the cushions so the hook comes a bit further round and releases from the bar. May take a bit or contortioning because ideally the back of the seat cushion needs to be held down so the hook can swing freely past the bar. Just pushing the top of the seat back down onto the cushion will try to lift the rear of the cushion under tray so the hook has to scrape across the bar as it moves past. Which makes it all much harder.

Once its all up it should be obvious what has become distorted or bent allowing things to be put back into shape by reference to the narrow seat.

Having fixed it hide the poxy screwdriver. P38 rule I is Bodges never work. Rule 2 is fixing it properly is usually easier than you expect.

Hope this was in time to help.

Clive

PS Gilbertd types faster

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the same problem and I found a fix thread somewhere. There's a shaft that keys into the hook plate and a plate at the opposite end of the seat mechanism and can come adrift. You need to release the plate at the hook end with the seat back folded down. These are all torx T50 and I suggest you get one to fit onto your socket set. Slightly pull the seat away from the door and expose the shaft. Reengage the shaft in the push the seat back and reinstall the hook plate. You may need an extra pair of hands to guide the shaft and seat back into position.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

There is a pipe with flat ends inside the seat that operates the hook. With the single seat flipped over you can access the pipe and operate the hook. The pipe is normally operated by the inside hinge. When you move the rear of the seat down, the hinge turns and with is the pipe and the release mechanism. Feel behind the hinge point, locate the pipe and twist it by hand to release the hook. If its disengaged you first have to try to find the other end to slot together. You can insert your arm there a bit and assist with this.

I posted before a reply about tis problem and added a photo of the release pipe.

Regards

Jos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts