Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a new LWB 7 Seat Autobiography with optional rear seat entertainment for the kids. Had it in the old model which obviously included tv tuner and DVD player. The new version though has two HDMI ports and two 60w USB c ports in the 2nd row armrest. What are folks plugging in here?

I just tried a mini DVD player off Amazon and the USB c wasn't powerful enough. I have the domestic plug socket in the footwell but having wires all over the place is a mess and not what I want with kids in the back. Was thinking about a Chromecast with Google TV or an Amazon Fire Stick HD but not sure if the USB c ports would be good enough to power them.

Would love to know thoughts/what other folks are using, as am concerned I've paid £3,700 for an unusable option.

Thanks

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the Chromecast and fire stick are HDMI connected but HDMI does not provide power and the Chromecast and Fire Stick need power. If you research the latest version of either you'll see they have a USB c port that then has to connect into a plug socket in the wall. The power on USB isn't enough for them hence needing a plug socket but obviously USB and USB c are different, so my question is would the 60w usbc port be enough to power them? Or will it need connecting to the domestic plug socket in which case it'll look a mess and can only connect one as only have one domestic plug socket?

· Premium Member
2013 Autobiography RRS 5.0SC...L322 03 Vogue 4.4lt
667 Posts
You can purchase small 12 volt inverters (power supply) that will supply you with that power you need to run a Chromecast

Something like this that can be hidden in the back of console or wherever. (use google search on Ali they have so many 12 volt power supplies to chose from)
1PCS AC-DC Mini Converter AC 1A 5W 220V to DC 3.3V 5V 9V 12V 15V 24V Power Supply Module1

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can purchase small 12 volt inverters (power supply) that will supply you with that power you need to run a Chromecast

Something like this that can be hidden in the back of console or wherever. (use google search on Ali they have so many 12 volt power supplies to chose from)
1PCS AC-DC Mini Converter AC 1A 5W 220V to DC 3.3V 5V 9V 12V 15V 24V Power Supply Module1
Looking at that on Ali and it just seems to be bare wires on each end. Not sure how that'd work.

Am going to just buy a Chromecast and give it a try going usbc to usbc I think. Fingers crossed! Will report back.

· Premium Member
2013 Autobiography RRS 5.0SC...L322 03 Vogue 4.4lt
667 Posts
Looking at that on Ali and it just seems to be bare wires on each end. Not sure how that'd work.

Am going to just buy a Chromecast and give it a try going usbc to usbc I think. Fingers crossed! Will report back.
Sorry i didn't realize you not so technically mined...me i would terminate both ends, can you have someone connect one end to 12volt power that turns off with the vehicle when you stop somewhere, the other end connect to the power lead from the power supply. The wires are color coded red & black so it's a very easy job to solder the wires and heat shrink over the solder. Have you a Auto Electrician you use for your electrical work?

· Registered
9 Posts
I just picked mine up today so I couldn’t answer any sooner. I grabbed a couple Chromecasts Black Friday and plugged them in today for rear entertainment. Both are powered by just the USB-C cable connecting to the port above each HDMI port. Everything powered up just fine and everything is working for rear screens on the Chromecast

1 - 8 of 8 Posts