RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new to this forum and as such this will be my first transition from BMW to owning a RR Sport.

I sent a mail to one of the dealer here in NY w/ my specs:
2011 Sport HSE - Santorini Black / Ebony Leather
and Rear Seat Entertainment & Cold weather package

The dealer contact sent me a mail asking if I require factory dvd's or aftermarket for the entertainment system. And he said both will be same price, but factory will have to be an ordered vehicle which will take 2-4 months.

I am not sure about this aftermarket and not sure how this will blend in the vehicle and also the look once installed. Or should I say factory and wait for 2-4 months ?
Please advise.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In a nutshell, if you can wait the 2-4 months then get factory. If anything goes wrong then at least you can go back to the dealer and say fix it and they have to do it. With aftermarket you open up a can of worms if there's faults. IMO a factory system will have higher resale value.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2010 RRS with an aftermarket rear entertainment system that installed through a contact of the dealer. I think the main difference between the two systems is the aftermarket is not controlled via the front touch screen. Appearance wise, this system looks pretty much the same as the factory installed. It also has wireless headsets and a gaming system.

If anything does go wrong with the aftermarket :lol: , it'll probably be easier to fix by the outside company.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I´ve got this, and the kids think it is much better than those tiny
screens they cram into a headrest. Looks neat as well, and can easily be
moved from one vehicle to another. Cheaper than any factory installation
and no need to sell it with the car.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Buy the little buggers iPads, TV's in the headrests is so last decade. Really.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
yeah no kidding. the griffin cinema seat case attaches to the headrest or it's pretty simple to fashion your own similar strap to secure it in place. you can take it between cars and it's more than just a DVD player.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a bad idea in getting those iPads :) will be a better option than shelling out 2.5 grand on the system. I am meeting up w/ the dealer next saturday 9/25, to look out all the options and try my luck on striking a deal on the price ! I'll keep you posted

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Ask the salesman to play a movie or audio DVD in DTS or DD5.1 through the Logic7 sound system (they usually have demo discs handy), you will leave the showroom with a different opinion of the factory RSES. Back in 2005 I thought it was ridiculously overpriced as well (it is), but after I heard it... Ka-ching!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
Ask the salesman to play a movie or audio DVD in DTS or DD5.1 through the Logic7 sound system (they usually have demo discs handy), you will leave the showroom with a different opinion of the factory RSES. Back in 2005 I thought it was ridiculously overpriced as well (it is), but after I heard it... Ka-ching!
But do they have an app store where you can buy such apps as:
1. iPot http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipot/id320692135?mt=8 --for CA and CO only I guess
2. iSurgeon http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isurgeon-lite/id339155394?mt=8--see what your wife would look like with big guns.

Also, and you have to be honest with yourself here...do you really want to listen to Handy Mandy episodes for the entire 3 hrs on the way to Grandma's, even in Logic7?

`)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ya here I go dredging up an old topic....

I have aftermarket DVDs in the head rests and after playing with them for a bit, I think they are the way to go....

The ones I have are made by Rosen...

Each head rest has its own DVD player accessed by pushing the bottom of the screen in which exposes the top loading slot. DVD player 1 can watch its own DVD or whats playing on DVD player 2. Each has AV inputs, and a "Game" mode with 25 games. There is also a USB slot for Ipod video, MP3, Pictures, Etc (Still playing with other formats to see what it can play). You can use the supplied wireless headsets, switchable between DVD 1 or DVD 2 and Each DVD has a built in FM modulator (User selectable station) to send it to the RR's sound system.

I was looking to add a rear back up camera to the Nav screen as I have a camera lying around. From my initial reading the only way to do this on an 08 RRS is to us a GVIF interface unit, that splices in between the Nav unit and the Nav brain. If I end up buying a GVIF interface I am going to try to feed the DVD players into its inputs so I can have video on the factory Nav screen as well. As sound is not covered by the GVIF interface Ill just use the built in FM modulator. There is also a TV tuner available from Rosen (as well as others available) to add TV.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Some aftermarket units may offer more options such as the ability to hook up a gaming system or watching independent movies etc. However let's face it, people only get aftermarket units if they bought a used vehicle without the factory system OR if they could not afford to get the factory system when ordering the vehicle. I don't think anyone makes a cleaner looking RES option than Range Rover, whether factory or aftermarket. This is the way the ultimate luxury vehicle should be! Not with cheap monitors clamped on to the headrests or ipads hanging on velcro straps!

A RRS with the OEM system not only looks great but integrates with the vehicle's audio/video system. A vehicle with the OEM system will always be worth more and sell faster than one without this option. Personally I would not buy a car with any aftermarket system. You know some stereo shop has taken apart the seats or pulled back carpeting and tapped into factory wiring to make it all work... :think: Spend the extra couple grand - you won't regret it, and you will make that much more when you sell it.

[attachment=0:6mho5z3a]AA250444_06.jpg[/attachment:6mho5z3a]

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rosen is one of the worst aftermarket DVD systems available!

I have an Invision DVD system in both of my vehicles and they come with a factory match warranty.
Specifically for my Rover, they had all leather options available including the contrasting topstitch.
True it’s not the factory system but I saved a grand on it!
Also, the Invision systems are transferrable from one car to another. All that’s required is new headrest shells for the electronics to mount into @ $200.
DVD_Pic1.jpg
DVD_Pic2.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Okay, first of all no one in this thread even retains the option of getting the factory system, so many of you are justifying a forced point of view

Anyways. If you want to hook up a 2-channel source to a 14-speaker audio system and call it "the way to go" then be my guest, but personally I see it as a huge waste of componentry, engineering effort, and $$$. Factory RSE is simply the only option we have of listening to digitally optimized surround sound (linear PCM, DTS, and Dolby) with our HK systems, so regardless of the LCD screens you all talk about, you're missing the point... this option is priceless!

Umbertob and I know this all too well. As he mentioned, listen to a demo. A quality DVD or DVD-Audio disc sounds better in a range rover than any IMAX theater I've been to. It's awesome!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
I have the factory DVD in my 2010 and my daughter is 10. The system is amazing but.....
  • I have to change the DVD's when we stop as they are in the 'boot", heaven forbid the 'boot' is loaded with luggage..
  • I have to turn the dang thing on and off
  • I have to enable the left side then I have to enable the right side....
If I was to do it over again I would be inclined to empower my daughter and go with aftermarket, but honestly - next time I won't spend any money on the RSE as she already as an iPad, an Touch, a DSi XL. a cellphone and a Laptop

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ya here I go dredging up an old topic....

I have aftermarket DVDs in the head rests and after playing with them for a bit, I think they are the way to go....

The ones I have are made by Rosen...

Each head rest has its own DVD player accessed by pushing the bottom of the screen in which exposes the top loading slot. DVD player 1 can watch its own DVD or whats playing on DVD player 2. Each has AV inputs, and a "Game" mode with 25 games. There is also a USB slot for Ipod video, MP3, Pictures, Etc (Still playing with other formats to see what it can play). You can use the supplied wireless headsets, switchable between DVD 1 or DVD 2 and Each DVD has a built in FM modulator (User selectable station) to send it to the RR's sound system.

I was looking to add a rear back up camera to the Nav screen as I have a camera lying around. From my initial reading the only way to do this on an 08 RRS is to us a GVIF interface unit, that splices in between the Nav unit and the Nav brain. If I end up buying a GVIF interface I am going to try to feed the DVD players into its inputs so I can have video on the factory Nav screen as well. As sound is not covered by the GVIF interface Ill just use the built in FM modulator. There is also a TV tuner available from Rosen (as well as others available) to add TV.

Hi Wedee, what is the max size with our headrest, 7" or 8.8" screen, did you get them to cut your factory head rest? what did the player cost and install? what is the resolution, are the LEDs

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am second owner so I had nothing to do with the choice of units, nor do I know how they were installed. The actual viewable screen measures 6.7" diagonally, I have installed screens in headrests before, and its not that bad (It is Daunting the first cut). If you take your time and make sure you have everything you need before you start it can be done, and it is very rewarding when you are done. On the bad side, if you mess it up its time for a new headrest. As for the resolution and specs of the units I have I am not sure, they look pretty good for the few minutes I spent with my son showing him all the options. As far as Rosen as a choice I cant say other than aftermarket headunits with video I have never looked at any of the headrest choices out there... I do like the functions, menus and ease of use of these units.

As for the other comments about staying Factory... I don't know why I personally would bother I have never watched a movie while I was driving, its my 10 year old that watches movies in the back seat with the wireless headphones. As far as I am concerned as long as I cant hear the movie, he can operate the unit, and he can put DVD's in it I love it. When he has a buddy in the back I love the fact they can watch the same movie on their own screens, or they can choose different movies each screen has its own dvd player. I don't know what the factory setup is like as I was never given the choice (2nd owner) but if the dvd's don't go into the unit in the headreast as well I would not want it, regardless of how it sounds.

Bottom Line- Before you go ripping someone about their choices think about what it is they are saying. As far as best stereo in the rig... Yes the HK is nice, but my F350's stereo that I installed myself with aftermarket stuff blew this out of the water as far as options (Bluetooth Streaming Audio and Hands free, Video in and out, HDD, USB Keys, navigation with FREE updates, XM or Sirrius, HD radio, touch screen, Back up camera, Audio tweeks, Etc) / sound quality at low and high volumes was superb. It also was aestheticly pleasing as I took my time and did it right. Ohh and it only set me back about 1500 including two rear screens. I am not sure what this HK Logic 7 cost was at purchase but even if it was as low as $1500, I still would take my old stereo setup back in a jiffy. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the HK Logic 7, its the best factory stereo I have ever had, but to compare it to a properly done aftermarket is wrong.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am second owner so I had nothing to do with the choice of units, nor do I know how they were installed. The actual viewable screen measures 6.7" diagonally, I have installed screens in headrests before, and its not that bad (It is Daunting the first cut). If you take your time and make sure you have everything you need before you start it can be done, and it is very rewarding when you are done. On the bad side, if you mess it up its time for a new headrest. As for the resolution and specs of the units I have I am not sure, they look pretty good for the few minutes I spent with my son showing him all the options. As far as Rosen as a choice I cant say other than aftermarket headunits with video I have never looked at any of the headrest choices out there... I do like the functions, menus and ease of use of these units.

As for the other comments about staying Factory... I don't know why I personally would bother I have never watched a movie while I was driving, its my 10 year old that watches movies in the back seat with the wireless headphones. As far as I am concerned as long as I cant hear the movie, he can operate the unit, and he can put DVD's in it I love it. When he has a buddy in the back I love the fact they can watch the same movie on their own screens, or they can choose different movies each screen has its own dvd player. I don't know what the factory setup is like as I was never given the choice (2nd owner) but if the dvd's don't go into the unit in the headreast as well I would not want it, regardless of how it sounds.

Bottom Line- Before you go ripping someone about their choices think about what it is they are saying. As far as best stereo in the rig... Yes the HK is nice, but my F350's stereo that I installed myself with aftermarket stuff blew this out of the water as far as options (Bluetooth Streaming Audio and Hands free, Video in and out, HDD, USB Keys, navigation with FREE updates, XM or Sirrius, HD radio, touch screen, Back up camera, Audio tweeks, Etc) / sound quality at low and high volumes was superb. It also was aestheticly pleasing as I took my time and did it right. Ohh and it only set me back about 1500 including two rear screens. I am not sure what this HK Logic 7 cost was at purchase but even if it was as low as $1500, I still would take my old stereo setup back in a jiffy. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the HK Logic 7, its the best factory stereo I have ever had, but to compare it to a properly done aftermarket is wrong.
I totally agree with you Weebee!!!!!!!!!!!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,986 Posts
so, when I got the new 2011 RRS HSE lux, I got the dealer to install a headrest DVD system having seen some the local lexus dealers. since it was dealer installed and a brand they put in all their vehicles,decided to buy the car if the DVD was installed. two headrest installed and very clean, functional, touchscreen controls and tried the FM sound and sounded very good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts