RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a friend and I went to compare a RRS and a Cayenne back to back today. I've sat in many and test driven both a few times as I choose between the two.

My friend noted that the rear seats in the RRS are quite firm, almost uncomfortably firm. Particularly the backrest. I hadn't noticed that before so we jumped into another one and it also felt firm. Anyone feel that the seats are too firm? I have two kids who would be in the back often and definitely want them to be comfortable.

The front seats felt fine, maybe a little firmer than the Cayenne seats. Come to think of it I took one supercharged on a test drive a few weeks back and found the driver's seat to have an uncomfortable bulge right in between my shoulder blades. I did not notice it in any other cars so concluded it was an aberration.

The salesman said the leather would break in, not so sure I believe that. My kids are little, not heavy enough to break them in.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought the same but I'm comparing the seats of a BMW 5 Series with upgraded Dakota leather...

I have yet taken delivery of my vehicle but from the two times I test drove the vehicle I did reach the same conclusion...

I'm interested in others' opinion on this too....

·
Banned
243 Posts
they purposely used a higher density foam for the Sport's seats than the FFRR or even Evoque.

that said they are NOT uncomfortable. quite the contrary. if your kids have the audacity to complain about riding in a brand new Range Rover Sport because the seats are "too firm", then you have larger issues at hand...

·
Registered
288 Posts
they purposely used a higher density foam for the Sport's seats than the FFRR or even Evoque.

that said they are NOT uncomfortable. quite the contrary. if your kids have the audacity to complain about riding in a brand new Range Rover Sport because the seats are "too firm", then you have larger issues at hand...
Why would LR use a higher density foam for this vehicle? Is it primarily to give it a "sportier" feel?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for your comments. My kids are not complaining, never said that so don't see where you are getting that from. Frankly I wasn't planning on consulting with them on the purchase. The seats felt firm to me and my friend, and compared to the Cayenne's seats felt less comfortable. I'm trying to pick from between two very nice vehicles is all.

That said we were in the car for 15 minutes, and was hoping to get input from owners who have taken longer trips.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If it helps, I've never sat in a Cayenne, but I have earned the right to become an authority on comfy seats because I fractured 8 Vertebrae 5 years ago, so I'm much more sensitive to Seats in Cars than "normal" People.

I've only owned my Sport for 3 weeks, the longest trip I've taken is from here to Malibu and back, spent about 4 hours total in it and absolutely no problems at all. Yes, I agree with another Poster, they are firmer than BMW's (We have one of those too).

I would say, from experience, the density on a RRS is pretty much on par with the RR Phantom. Just about perfect.

Yeah I know, everyone is different but that's my Tuppence worth.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it helps, I've never sat in a Cayenne, but I have earned the right to become an authority on comfy seats because I fractured 8 Vertebrae 5 years ago, so I'm much more sensitive to Seats in Cars than "normal" People.

I've only owned my Sport for 3 weeks, the longest trip I've taken is from here to Malibu and back, spent about 4 hours total in it and absolutely no problems at all. Yes, I agree with another Poster, they are firmer than BMW's (We have one of those too).

I would say, from experience, the density on a RRS is pretty much on par with the RR Phantom. Just about perfect.

Yeah I know, everyone is different but that's my Tuppence worth.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this is great. Were you in the back for this trip? I find the front seats great. Newport to Malibu, you could have spent those 4 hours sitting on the 405!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The backseats are definitely firmer than the full size Range Rover and Cayenne, I sat in all of them one day. Haven't had any complaints from back seat passengers so far. Definitely not a deal breaker in my opinion.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The backseats are definitely firmer than the full size Range Rover and Cayenne, I sat in all of them one day. Haven't had any complaints from back seat passengers so far. Definitely not a deal breaker in my opinion.
Should a firmer rear seat imply that it will be more durable? I didn't test drive the Cayenne since I'm 6 foot 1 and wanted something that I could once in a while sit in the back... But I did read that it has one of the best leather construction.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When I've sat in the back seats I initially felt like they were firm.

HOWEVER, my rear seat passengers always say that the seats are comfortable, etc. I have not had any complaints...

I'm just glad I don't have to sit back there :dance:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for your comments. My kids are not complaining, never said that so don't see where you are getting that from. Frankly I wasn't planning on consulting with them on the purchase. The seats felt firm to me and my friend, and compared to the Cayenne's seats felt less comfortable. I'm trying to pick from between two very nice vehicles is all.

That said we were in the car for 15 minutes, and was hoping to get input from owners who have taken longer trips.
Been on several 3 plus hour trips and no complaints from my daughter..........and I just asked to confirm....:).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to hear the seats are not an issue, just a bit different.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks, this is great. Were you in the back for this trip? I find the front seats great. Newport to Malibu, you could have spent those 4 hours sitting on the 405!
Sorry, I thought you meant the Seats in general, my bad. No, I was driving and yes, you're right about 4 hours on the 405, after all, it is 70 miles from here !! I found out shortly after I moved here why locals measure trips in time, not miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to hear the seats are not an issue, just a bit different.
Speaking as a current Cayenne S owner and a future RRS owner, I can say that the RRS is much more comfortable as a rear seat passenger. I am comparing as close to apples-to-apples as possible. The Cayenne that I have has the 21" wheel package (i.e. most aggressive wheel-tire package offered) and it is quite uncomfortable on bad roads. I test drove the RRS multiple times and even rode in the back seat over the same roads. Much more comfortable.

-Chris

·
Registered
252 Posts
I haven't ridden in the rear seats. However i find the rear seats to feel very similar to the front seats with regards to static comfort. With that said, i picked up my Sport SC 2 weeks ago and promptly drove from FL to the Colorado High Alpine Loop. On the way out there i drove 27 of 38 waking hours and was not the least bit tired. My 72 year old father and i put 4400 miles on the Sport in 7 days. It wasn't until late in the 6th and 7th days did we being to squirm a little bit in our seats.

This must be the best road trip vehicle available today. What a blast that trip was. What other vehicle can you hit 135mph when on a lonely stretch of NM highway and then traverse a 13,600' 4x4 alpine pass the next day? Super vehicle!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I haven't ridden in the rear seats. However i find the rear seats to feel very similar to the front seats with regards to static comfort. With that said, i picked up my Sport SC 2 weeks ago and promptly drove from FL to the Colorado High Alpine Loop. On the way out there i drove 27 of 38 waking hours and was not the least bit tired. My 72 year old father and i put 4400 miles on the Sport in 7 days. It wasn't until late in the 6th and 7th days did we being to squirm a little bit in our seats.

This must be the best road trip vehicle available today. What a blast that trip was. What other vehicle can you hit 135mph when on a lonely stretch of NM highway and then traverse a 13,600' 4x4 alpine pass the next day? Super vehicle!

Like_1.jpg
that's all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts