RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my passenger side rear seal and I'm wondering about the best way to remove the old seal. I'm worried about digging a screw driver in there and scoring the metal as I try and remove it. Any tips? I rented a seal driver from Pep Boys so installing the new one should be relatively easy. Any do I need to drain the rear before attempting to remove/replace the seal? TIA.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
You are talking about the rear axle seal? If so, you don't have to drain the diff. by raising one wheel at a time you keep from, what little might come out, in there. There a few things that you need to take off. you will have to pull out the axle. I think the hardest part is getting the seal squared on the housing so as not to leak. The rest is just taking bolts off and putting them back on!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zubi said:
You are talking about the rear axle seal? If so, you don't have to drain the diff. by raising one wheel at a time you keep from, what little might come out, in there. There a few things that you need to take off. you will have to pull out the axle. I think the hardest part is getting the seal squared on the housing so as not to leak. The rest is just taking bolts off and putting them back on!
I rented a seal driver to put the new seal on. I guess I'm wondering how easy it is to re-fit the axle splines when replacing the axle.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
not HARD, just a bit fiddly. the axle and diff are tapered to help with alignment, just need to get close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts