RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who can't listen to the radio when I'm demisting my rear screen?
The crackling is incredible.
Any thoughts on where to start? It's been like it from day one, just put up with it in the past, but I'm getting old and grouchy now so I want to sort it :lol:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree buy a can of contact cleaner and clean the connections i had some feedback and engine noise and removed and cleaned the amps in the front doors all is fine now

·
Registered
199 Posts
Funny eneough I noticed mine does this today. Will try cleaning the connectors but as it is a new tailgat they are pretty clean already I suspect the alternator needs a good old fashioned suppressor (Capacitor)

:pray:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
TehPriest said:
I suspect the alternator needs a good old fashioned suppressor (Capacitor)
Not likely or all of us would be having this issue.

The spade connectors at the glass easily get nasty due to condensation and elements. A quick bit of sanding and a bit of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly will eliminate it occuring again.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think the next thing I'd do is disconnect the screen, at the screen, and see if the problem remains. If it doesn't I'd simulate the screen by connecting a bulb across the wires, instead of the screen.
It occurs to me that any noise MAY vary with the amount of current drawn. IE, a 21 watt bulb would be quieter than a 55 watt bulb. If no noise occurs it puts the problem into the screen element itself. Difficult to check for breaks until it gets frosty.

Good Luck

·
Registered
649 Posts
If an electrical line is broken completely, then I would not expect it to cause interference.
If the current is arcing across a gap then interference is going to occur, both as 'radio' waves, possibly using wiring as a transmitting aerial, and as noise down the wiring, where it can go along the power lead to any other piece of kit. You would hope that any decent radio has sufficient suppression built in to the power circuitry to defeat noise transmitted along the power lead. That leaves us with noise as a radio signal. You could prove that that is how the noise is getting into the radio by disconnecting whichever aerial is serving the stations you are getting noise on, presumably VHF.
Even if proved, it still doesn't find the source of the arc (signal generator).
Have you checked the local earth for the heated screen, for security and cleanliness?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts