RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone I have tried searching endlessly and have come up with no solutions or possible matches on a thread.

My 2006 RRS with 79,300 miles on it makes an audible click/popping noise in the cabin at low idle rpm while moving, however, once I get up to speed the noise goes away. I have taken it to my mechanic and they can find nothing wrong and thought maybe that it might be with the rear differential and the axles...I have no idea though and the sound is really bothering me.

Hopefully this has happened to someone before and it is an easy fix, I already have to do the 75,000 fluid replacements so hopefully they figure it out then.

All help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
does the click speed/cadence change with wheel speed or is it constant?

more noticable with windows down?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise stays constant at the idle speed and then totally disappears once past 5-10 mph....but it is noticeable from inside the cabin and not that noticeable from outside of the cabin

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
EAS pump? It;s the only thing I can think of that is back there.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The park brake drum / shoes are back there. Does the park brake work reliably, no funny noises when engaging or disengaging it?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts
I second the braking brake mechanism.

Try this: if you hear it, immediately pull over, put the Sport in Park, and pull the parking brake - then release it. See if the noise abates/changes.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Its also possible that a CV joint is clicking. Is there any grease on any of the CV joint boots?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, we have a winner, it is indeed the Emergency brake, it has to be replaced. 130 for both rear wheels and 800 in labor from Land Rover, I'll save some money by going to my regular shop that I have taken all my other vehicles to and it will not amount to 800 in labor.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Just make sure your regular shop is familiar with the procedures to mount and adjust this type of electronic park brake system, it is a bit... temperamental if not installed correctly.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Including at least 3 reset processes to bed in the electronics and shoes properly - be sure to watch the drums for overheating or paint peeling which would mean the brake shoes are too close and not dialed back enough, definitely not your normal run of the mill job by any means. And in case the ticking is still there afterwards, perhaps a pebble has lodged between the disc and the brake shield... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, I trust this shop, they deal with a lot of high end vehicles and as of today I am no longer driving it as the rear right wheel is really hot after driving, the paint has already peeled off after painting the calipers a month ago, and the paint was rated for 500 degrees F. Should be done early next week.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds like a seized cable. I'm not sure at all, but aren't these just like old drum brakes? They have self adjusters in them, but if a cable won't release, then they can stay engaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the help, I will pass all of this useful information along when the work is done next week. Thanks for the suggestions as to what could be wrong!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update to this shenanigans. The back right wheel has been over heating, it is at the shop now, however, it isn't the emergency brake failing or ceasing up. All of the other wheels, rotors and calipers are fine, but the back right rear caliper had the brake pad wearing down at an unusual angle. This is all getting above my head, I am having the shop replace the rotor, caliper, brake pads, and brake hoses, also just replace the emergency brake while its all taken apart. Has anyone had any unusual high temperatures come off the rotor area or not what could be causing this? It was so hot it burnt the inside of the rotor to paint a picture of what is going on

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I've had sticky pistons in calipers before. If the square seal isn't retracting the piston you will get constant contact on the rotor. On a front caliper its very noticeable as the car will draw to one side when braking, but can go unnoticed in the back.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts
Sticking caliper. Can be rebuilt; may not be worth it. Make sure the emergency brake isn't also an issue, however - the sound you describe is far likelier to be the EB than it is the caliper.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
While we're on the sticky caliper subject, LR suggest in the maintenance schedule replacing the brake lines at 6 yrs. I've had a situation on my high mileage Toyota where I thought I had a sticky caliper but it turned out the brake hose was getting weak and collapsing a bit on itself, causing the piston to not retract properly.

So if anyone encounters this problem, before replacing the caliper perhaps see if the hoses need to be replaced. And if its the caliper, replace the hoses while you're at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All is well in the Range Rover world now, the caliper was replaced, all brake hoses in the rear were replaced, new rotors and new brake pads, the emergency brake was good to go and there were no concerns that it was on its way to failing. The clicking sound in the rear is completely gone and I no longer hear anything coming from the rear right side of the vehicle. That being said my 2006 only has 79,300 miles on it so it hasn't been overworked by any means.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
but after all that what was the actual issue? Binding pin? Binding piston? loose caliper mount?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The issue was that the piston on the caliper was sticking causing the brake pad to constantly be pressed towards the rotor. I had all brake hoses replaced and just that caliper on the back right side and almost one month later I have had no issues with that issue again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts