RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2010 RRS S/C (just bought it 3,000 miles and a few months ago, 45k miles now).

About 1.5 months ago I noticed that 1/5 lug nuts (only on the rear left wheel) was extremely loose. So, I tightened it and went on my way. Now, however, I'm starting to notice a "clunking" sound whenever I brake, coming from the rear left side of my rig. When I roll the window down, I can hear the noise happen at precisely the same cadence. When I looked at my rear left tire this morning, now 3/5 lug nuts are extremely loose.

I'm going to go tighten the lug nuts before I leave work today, and see if that fixes the noise, but does anyone have any idea what's causing the lug nuts to protrude greatly and not sit flush with the other ones? Again, this is only happening to the rear left tire.

Also, for clarification, I believe that I can accelerate for any distance without hearing the sound. It's only when I brake that I hear the clunking. After Braking -> Coasting (no acceleration, no deceleration) the noise is also present. But after Braking -> Coasting -> Accelerating then the noise instantly goes away as soon as I press on the gas.

Many thanks!
PowerBerries

·
Registered
173 Posts
I definitely don't like the sound of loose lug nuts (pun intended). It sounds obvious but make sure they're all hand tightened while that corner of the car is jacked up so that the wheel is tight to the hub. Then lower the car and tighten the nuts all the way, using a torque wrench if you have to. Check all the threads too. If some are bent or damaged, it will prevent you from fastening them down all the way even though it may feel like it is tight.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@woofster - Thanks for the help and here's the update!

First of all, I didn't even know loose lug nuts made a sound. I do know, because as soon as I tightened them, all the noise went away.

Second, thanks for stating the obvious because whenever I changed a wheel and put the lug nuts back on, I didn't make the mental connection that the car was elevated. What I'm trying to say is, I never elevated the rig when tightening the bolts (this time or last time). I'll try that this weekend and see how it holds up over the next few months.

If the car lug nuts become loose again, then I'll update this post and we'll know there is a more serious problem that's causing the lug nuts to become loose. My working hypothesis right now, is that the lug nuts were just never tightened 100% (maybe 80-90% -> whatever the max % is without having the wheel elevated off the ground).

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
73 Posts
Tighten them again. This time, tighten all 5 lugs in X pattern. Recheck afterward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts