RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. well i am in the mdidle of replacing the rear hub bearing. and have seemed to get half way through the job. now im at witts end and was woundering if there is any advise that can be had. my plan was to remove the whole hub assembly and take the bearing to a shop and have the re and re the new bearing as i understand that press is required. anyway im having problems removing the upper control arm bolt. the one with the oval washers. any advice? is it possible that the bolt is rusted in place or is there a special removal method.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Hey, just want to check that you have an RR Sport. We get a few cross posts here from other forums. And just in case it's not a RR Sport, I think the P38 forum or one of the others had a detailed review on replacing hubs/wheel bearings...just fyi.

Just a thought. I've never done one myself on a RRS but I've had a recent go round with wheel bearings on another vehicle. I realize you are doing this yourself, but I went through the cost analysis with the mechanic on replacing just the bearings vs. the whole new hub, and by the time the additional shop time was factored in it was only +$100 for the new hub--I went with the new hub. I've seen some guys really butcher the thing trying to get the old bearings out w a grinder and chisel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup shes a RRS. i went to the dealer to get the parts. and was told that the hub assembly did not come with the bearing installed. it definitly would make things a lot easier. anyway the bearing has been grinding away and i finally used a puller to seperate it. but am having problems removing the upper bolt that holds the assembly in place. fure sure if you know of a supplier that has the complete assembly with bearing installed let me know. thanks again :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
:think: maybe that's the only way they come from LR.

Hmmm...with the remove and replace mentality in the LR service department these days I woulda thought for sure...

Maybe someone else can chime in on the removal.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The front ones come with the bearing installed. The rears don't and you need a special tool to pull the bearing out. I think we've had to actually cut the insert out in the past. It's a pain of a job without the correct tool. To get the bearing in again, freeze it overnight and it will insert itself easily the next day.

That oval bolt is the bolt which adjusts the camber. Mark it with a punch so you can line it up again whan putting it back together.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Or drop it off to the dealer since they have the right parts for the job. Indy shops drop jag and rover hubs off to us all the time for bearing replacement.

but if the bolt wont come out then its seized. if a hammer won't help then it will have to be pressed out along with a new bolt and new bushing. See it all the time on full size range rovers. **** things seize in and it takes an act of god and enough heat and other tools to get it apart.

oh and plan on an alignment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
posting a follow up. everything went smooth once i got the knuckle off. took the knuckle over to my freinds place as he had the bearing press. everything went smooth. the old bearing pressed out easliy and the new bearin in. olny problem was the seized top bolt holding th knuckle in place. i cut the bolt and replaced with new bushing and bolt. easy job, but impossible to do with out the shop press. thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Good to hear all went well.

Snow? Where is that, because its been 90F+ for weeks here and I might have to move there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beautiful british columbia. people are still skiing on blackchom glacier and still snowmobiling up top on the mountains. web cam of black tusk snow mobile club. http://www.btsc.ca/webcam.php the building is of an abondoned ski resort that was to be operational in the late 70s, the place went broke and they couldnt even get the wire up for the chair lifts. rumor has it that they are planning to open it again, with golf coarses and residencies. anyway web cam of whistler blackchom http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/cams/index.htm went crabbing the other day and brought home 6 nice crabs. a fresh crab diner that night. hopfully ill land a 50lb halibut next.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
That's refreshing dhk as I am so sick of summer already, thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Post up fishing pictures if you land a doormat.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hey, before I am forced to drive to the dealer to check for myself, can someone confirm or deny 100% that the OEM rear hub assembly doesn't come with the bearing pressed in?

This is what I got so far this am:
--One dealer says yes
--Another dealer says no
--One salesperson at AB says yes
--Another salesperson at AB says no
--This thread seems to indicate no, but its a year old and maybe something has changed?

To confuse matters more, there's apparently an aftermarket hub that's $10 cheaper which according to AB is identical to the OEM hub, which apparently comes with the bearing pressed in, but then again I can't trust them. I think some people are getting confiused with the front hub, even so I was very careful to say I want a rear hub.

I just took some Advil.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Goose
I just had the rear drivers side replaced by an indy shop about a month ago and he picked up the aftermarket hub which did NOT come with bearing. I guess it depends on where you get it from but there must be more than one aftermarket style hubs out there. It sucked cause we had to wait an extra day to get the bearing in as he was under the assumption that it came pre-installed.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks jbrac.

I did some more checking and I'm beginning to believe that neither the OEM or a/m ones come with the bearing.

Was going to do this myself with an upcoming rear rotor/pad change, but it looks like I will be taking this one to the shop since I can't press that bearing in at home. The dealer is quoting me $500-550 for this job.

Hopefully the old bearing can be pressed out w/o destroying the old hub, so I have one sitting on deck for the next rear wheel bearing job. :pray:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Sorry, missed this thread earlier. Rear OEM wheel bearings are indeed sold separately from the hub, and a serviceable item (unlike the front ones, built into the hub and not serviceable.) :D Lots of special tools required to extract/install them (if you don't want to destroy the hub.) /:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts