RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When depressing the hatch button on the liftgate, there doesn't seem to be any engagement/disengagement. I cannot open the hatch. It seems I have the opposite problem of having their hatches open all the time.

Is there a way to open up the liftgate/hatch (top part, I don't even know if the tailgate will open at this point).

Thanks,
Paul
-1995 RRCC LWB 4.2

·
Registered
665 Posts
climb in the back, mine is all apart so i cant check for sure, but pull the lower cover off and there should be 2 rods behind it. with cutters or visegrips, pry those rods towards the handle.

does your button go all the way down?

·
Registered
523 Posts
craigvmax said:
my button isnt moving at all although I can feel the lock moving when I blip the remote control
Probably a stupid question, but are you sure it's not been locked with the key? That overrides the central locking, and would account for your symptoms.

·
Registered
665 Posts
start lubing it with penetrating oil. try to take the handle off from the inside, then just manually push the lever. even if you force the button in - make sure it's unlocked first - you should be able to work it free

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bandit has the right idea, take the handle off and use a screwdriver to depress the button. The mechanical parts of the rods and latches will need to have the **** lubed out of them with penetrating oil and then possibly adjusted at the rod ends after that. Keep spraying and spraying and closing and reopening and spraying and reopening. Get all of the moving parts and watch to see where the rods are binding, either at the latchs or the handle. Mine were rusted close, would not open, then would not close but after a couple of patient hours it should come around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,

thanks for the suggestion. i have not been able to get out there yet and concerned that my driver's side door and ignition use one key, while the passenger door and rear hatch use an altogether different key. Oh the joys of owning someone else's frankenstein!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts