Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestion on where I should start, on trying to fix a rear hatch glass that will not open. The tailgate works fine, but the glass does not pop open.

Pressing the release pad/button and nothing happens.

Is the release pad a common fail for anyone else?

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the glass to release from the inside. If I remove the plastic trim on the inner window can I manually spring it open?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
After a few days studying and learning all I could before I start taking things apart, I finally fixed the non-operating rear glass switch on my 2007 RRS HSE. Here's what I did:
-Checked the fuse (#21) in the CJB, located behind the lower glove box. All good.
-Carefully peeled off the rubber cover for the rear glass switch located just above the license plate. Once this is removed, you're committed to opening the glass, since you have to completely remove the switch from the housing to re-install the rubber cover.
-Remove the corroded, broken piece of pot metal that used to be some kind of actuator plate for the glass release switch
-Reach inside (a flashlight helps) and push the tiny microswitch button and VOILA! rear glass is open!
-Once the glass was up, I removed the 8 Torx screws holding the lower switch cover panel in place, then remove the cover, inspect and thoroughly clean everything in there.
-Carefully remove the switch housing and unplug the electrical connector
-Carefully and thoroughly clean the switch housing, paying attention to the location of the tiny switch inside. Also thoroughly clean the rubber cover, especially inside the lip.
-I put a light coating of Dow 111 silicone (NOT RTV!) inside the switch housing and inside the lip of the rubber cover to protect against water intrusion
-Carefully install the rubber cover onto the switch housing, ensuring the lip seals all the way around, and ensuring the rubber cover is oriented correctly (you can install it backwards)
-Before installing the switch into the tailgate glass, check how to push the switch with your fingers. It is a bit more difficult, and there is definitely a "sweet spot".
-Reassemble everything, try it out and crack a well-deserved cold one
In order to make things easier when hunting around for the tiny stupid little button while standing in the rain with a handful of groceries, etc., I programmed the 3rd button on the key to open the glass instead. I then calculated how much time I spent on the entire process, and proceeded to spend exactly 3.6 times as long bragging to the wife about how awesome I am at fixing things, and about the $79.85 we saved by not ordering a new switch from the dealer.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
227 Posts
Great instructions, very helpful in the most common event of faulty/rusted switch. Unfortunately the remaining 49% of cases is rear glass not opening due to a problem with the harness that runs inside the lower part of the tailgate. Some say, it's easier and cheaper to replace the whole tailgate assembly, then to replace this harness.... :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts